Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmsqueen04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2011, 05:36 PM
    What is a worse charge?
    My son and a friend of his were at a football game, a fight broke out that was started by my sons friend, my son never threw a punch and was arrested months later and charged with Assault. His friends charge is Aggravated Menacing. The arresting officer told me to my face that he didn't like my son so he was going to arrest him even if he didn't do anything. My question is this, which is the lesser charge Assault or Aggravated Menacing?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2011, 05:52 PM
    We will have to know the state ( in if US) since laws vary greatly by state. Names of offense differ, do you have the actual code number they were charged under.
    pmsqueen04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2011, 06:11 PM
    State is Ohio. I believe the assault charge is 2903.13. And the aggravated menacing is 2903.21 but those numbers came from a search of the Ohio revised code and not any paperwork from the jail
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 22, 2011, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pmsqueen04 View Post
    State is ohio. I believe the assault charge is 2903.13. And the aggravated menacing is 2903.21 but those numbers came from a search of the Ohio revised code and not any paperwork from the jail

"2903.13 Assault.
    (C)... Except as otherwise provided in division (C)(1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of this section, assault is a misdemeanor of the first degree."

"2903.21 Aggravated menacing.
    (B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of aggravated menacing. Except as otherwise provided in this division, aggravated menacing is a misdemeanor of the first degree. "
    ..."
    Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 2903: HOMICIDE AND ASSAULT

So, as you have probably already seen, they are the same. If you get "paperwork from the jail" that is to the contrary, the jail is wrong. But the important thing is what the court says, not the jail.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2011, 12:43 PM
    Assault means the person was struck. Meanacing means they were not struck. Assault is worse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
    And each will have its own requirements to convict. The state will have to meet each of the elements of each crime to convict.

And as noted both are misdemeanors

The issue is that often police officers lie trying to get people to talk and say something. And police officers do sometimes not like some people for various reasons.

The issue is that to get charged and a DA to take it to court there has to be evidence, not just a upset cop. So someone had to name him or pick him out of a photo line up as a person who hit someone or hit them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I charge a fix rate or charge by the square ft to paint a house exterior. [ 1 Answers ]

Should I charge a fix rate or charge by the square foot to paint the exterior of a home around 2000 square feet?

Negative charge of -3.0 * 10^-6 and a positve charge of 4.0 * 10^-6 are separated by [ 1 Answers ]

I neeed help on my homework and how I am supposed to do it...

When someone changes for the worse! [ 4 Answers ]

My cousin is in a relationship that is really not healthy. He was such a nice sweet guy.He has changed a lot with his family when he met this woman.He is constantly nervous.I don't know how to convince him to move on.. When you are in a healthy realionship you should be happy and not change for the...

Can it get any worse. Not for me. [ 1 Answers ]

HEEELLLP, It all started seven months ago, My girlfriend who I loved very much was suffering with clinical depression and having suicidal thoughts. Everything I tried to do, made things worse, she got irate at me and then hated herself. She said she loved me, but clearly couldn't deal with...

It keeps getting worse. [ 2 Answers ]

I have already posted two questions and I took everything answer into consideration. All of them were very comforting and I am looking for that kind of advice again about the same situation. It has gotten worse. As of today I haven't seen my ex-boyfriend/father of my baby in almost two months. ...

View more questions Search