Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Annemieke Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Dec 22, 2011, 02:23 PM
    How do I rid a pan of fish-smell?
    I have an old heavy-bottomed aluminium pan. I made fish-stock in it and now I find it impossible to get the fish-smell out. Tomorrow I have to make mulled cider in it. Have you got any advise?
    Love, thanks!
    Annemieke Wigmore,
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 22, 2011, 05:38 PM
    Throw it out!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 22, 2011, 05:42 PM
    Try boiling water with a generous amount of baking soda thrown in.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 22, 2011, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Try boiling water with a generous amount of baking soda thrown in.
    LisaB, know you are good with chemicals, but cooking is my expertise, and nothing, absolutely nothing is going to help that ole pan get its groove back after fish, and then hoping for mulled wine... no way. New pan for OP

I use that formula to get rid of burn on a pot.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 22, 2011, 07:39 PM
    Maybe boiling with cream of tartar? That takes off some pretty wicked minerals. Maybe it can work on fish.

Mar 7, 2012, 08:25 AM
    Good news from Annemieke: after storing the panin my shed for a few months, waiting for the next batch of fishbones to be made into stock, the smell has disappeared! I cooked some beet in it (thinking fish goes well with beet) and there is not a trace! The pan did not have a lid on. Yippee: it was, and is again, a good pan!
    Chardel Posts: 93, Reputation: 13

Apr 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
    The next batch of fish bones could be tomorrow and if this is a fave pan you don't really want to be leaving it in the shed for a few months all the time, the smell could also attract un wanted visitors like raccoons. You could try cutting a lemon in half and rubbing it around the inside of the pot, leave it to dry with the lemon juice still in it the wash the next day... I have used this trick a few times with great success. Good luck!

Apr 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
    I would be most pleased to see a raccoon in my shed... living as I do in the UK. But thanks for the tip, good idea! Love A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fish & chip shop 3 pan gas range [ 0 Answers ]

One of my pilots won't stay on even with a new thermocouple. First time this has happened in 20 years.

The smell of fish is growing [ 29 Answers ]

Why would a US diplomat resign because he has lost confidence as to why the war is being pursued in Afghanistan US diplomat 'resigns' over Afghan war | World Breaking News | News.com.au Thus surely tells us that things are not as they seem

Fish smell [ 1 Answers ]

After cooking fish how do I get rid of the smells

How can I get rid of my fish smell? [ 1 Answers ]

I have noticed when I Ovulate I have a weird fish smell down south. I am A very clean person. But what can I do to get rid of this?

View more questions Search