Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonthed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2011, 03:41 PM
    Single switch for a living room light always trips circuit breaker when turned on...
    We have a single ceiling light in our living room controlled by a single light switch. Since moving into this house we have found that if we try to turn it on it flips the circuit breaker. If we turn it off again and flip the circuit breaker back on the rest of the lights in the circuit work fine. We have not used it since. However, my brother came back and unaware of this issue he switched it on, and flipped the circuit breaker. My wife then flipped the circuit breaker back on whilst the light switch was still on. This seemed to blow the circuit, and now, even with the problem switch turned off, flipping the circuit breaker back on we found only one light on the circuit now works. The others no longer some on.

What might have happened and what might need to be done?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
    The original light switch was shorted out and needed replaced initially. Now you need to replace the other sockets or switches provided the wiring is not fried. Or the actual circuit breaker is fried. This should have been addressed long ago as it was a potential fire hazard when unfixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit Breaker trips when system is turned on. [ 4 Answers ]

Just had annual maintenance, so a bit suspicious... Have a heat pump in the attic, and an A/C unit outside. Since service call, when the system is turned on at the thermostat, the circuit breaker trips after a few minutes. Heat pump continues to run.

Circuit Breaker Trips When Light Switch Pushed In [ 11 Answers ]

I have a light switch that trips the breaker when the light switch is pushed in to the box, but not when it is pulled out and hanging. I left it live just now as I tried to push it back into the box and as I pushed it sparked and tripped the breaker. How do I fix this?

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

Light switch trips circuit breaker [ 11 Answers ]

I just bought a house and there is a set of 3 light switches two of them look exactly the same and work perfectly fine, but the third on looks different and when you flip the switch on it trips the breakers for the entire living room. What could be the problem and is there an easy fix?

View more questions Search