Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Annemieke Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Dec 21, 2011, 03:35 AM
    Can you eat the green part of a carrot?
    I know the green bits of a potato are poisonous. But what about the green top of a carrot? I don't mean the leaves, but the part which has (accidentaly) grown above the ground and got the light? Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 21, 2011, 03:45 AM
    Sure, if you want to.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Dec 21, 2011, 05:42 AM
    Apparently you can, but some say you can't. I found this website, have a read:

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/carrotops.html

And to add, I was unaware about the greens of potatoes! You learn something new every day! :D

X Dani
    Annemieke Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Dec 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Dani, I looked at the site you mentioned, but I do think that by 'tops' they mean the leaves. Whereas I mean the part of the carrot which is still root, byt has got green because It stuck out above the ground while growing.
    About potatoes: the green bits are poisonous, as are the sprouts (and of course the leafy bits).
    Interestingly, in Holland they know about the green bits and cut them out; in England they know about the sprouts and cut them off. So both peoples get a little bit of poison, but not much!
    RubyMittal Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
    Yes, If you want.
    Chloerose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2014, 12:17 PM
    Actually, if there is any portion of the potato that is green the entire potato is poisonous. You will not see the "green" inside all of the potato but the toxin is still present. Sad and difficult to find potatoes that have not been exposed to light (which triggers the development of "green") Even growing my own I come across potatoes I must discard.

With the carrot question... I have yet to find an answer on the safety of carrots with streaks, blotches etc of green running through the root portion. I'm canning carrots today... as we speak... and some of our carrots have green in them. Which is what lead me here :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is this right to eat intestines and digsetive part of goat and camel in islam [ 1 Answers ]

Can we eat intestines and digestive part of goat and camel .this is haraam or halaal tell me the right answer. I want answer from expert and I humbly request to all of you don't give wrong answer for this question

Can an intending immigrant's income be part of the affidavit of support for green card [ 1 Answers ]

I 'm in the US on an H1B visa for another 15 months, (of 3 years total). I married an American Citizen who took off work to care for our newborn this year, as I am on a work contract for the 3 Years total. My question in obtaining my green card is:. Is it a requirement for us to...

Carrot top ! [ 1 Answers ]

My hair was natually blondish brown, about 4 months ago I dyed it black and colored it once a month to keep the black.. 4 weeks ago I tried using a blonding kit to strip the black out.. it turned my hair like an auburn red!! Last weekend I tried using a hair dye called blonde bombshell... it did...

Carrot skin [ 9 Answers ]

I made soup but I forgot to peel my carrots. Is that all right?

Carrot TOP [ 2 Answers ]

I Just dyed my hair "reddish brown" but the top turned out RED/orange (just imagine CarrotTop or Bobo the clown) and the bottom is the correct reddish brown color... my natural color is a medium brown with red undertones. I haven't dyed my hair in over a year, but this has never happened to me...

View more questions Search