Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    physhelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 06:55 PM
    need formulas to find speed to maintain orbit
    The earth has a mass of 5.97x10^-11kg. Sun has a mass of 2.0x10^-30. They are 93,000,000 miles apart. How fast does earth have to move to stay in orbit aroun sun?
    How do you solve this?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2007, 11:30 PM
    For this question we assume that the Sun is so much bigger than the Earth that there is no movement of the Sun due to the movement of the Earth (unrealistic but a fair approximation). We also assume a circular orbit.

You have an equation for the gravitational force of the sun acting on the Earth:

Where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the small and big masses (Earth and Sun) and r is the radius of orbit.

You also have an equation for the centripetal force required to keep a body in circular motion:

Now, making them both equal we see:

Cancelling:

Now you need to put in your values for M and r (remember to convert to meters first) to get v, the orbital velocity

I don't know why your teacher gave you the mass of the Earth, it isn't needed.

Hope this helps :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 11:18 PM
    She?! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smaller Orbit [ 5 Answers ]

Suppose the Orbit of the Earth Were 5% Smaller (a = 0.95 au) than it is today (a = 1.0 au). What would happen??

Furnace won't maintain temp - shuts off [ 5 Answers ]

Furnace problem - Turn temp to 70 Furnace runs until 70 degrees Maintains temperature for awhile - probably for a couple of hours At some point it stops maintaining the temperature and keeps kicking on and off. I've watched the thermostat - I'll actually turn the temp up to try to get it to...

Calc. Empirical formulas and molecular formulas [ 1 Answers ]

:eek! : a sample is made of 18g of C and 81.5g of H... the molecular mass of the compound is 104g/mole calc. the empirical formula... calc. the molecular formula OK.. so I got the moles, I think.:confused: . C= 18g X 1mole = 1.4987g 1 ...

Things in orbit [ 1 Answers ]

The space shuttle, for example. I saw this question on another forum. Wish I hadn't. Now I'm curious and confused. Once in orbit, it travels at about 17,500 mph around the earth. What propels it at that speed? I thought that once it begins to orbit, it (as well as most other things in...

Orbit of the sun [ 1 Answers ]

How many miles or kilometres does the Earth travel in one orbit of the sun? Is it constant?

View more questions Search