Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 20, 2011, 01:24 PM
    Sacramental Packet
    Going through some of my great grandmother's things, I found what is labeled as a "Sacramental Packet". It contains the following items: Blessed Salt, Green Scapular, Miraculous Medal, St. Benedict Medal, and a Blessed Palm.

What would this have been used for? The last label on the packet says: BLESSED* Please do not misuse.

I have a healthy respect for all blessed things, and do not want to inadvertently misuse it or dispose of it incorrectly.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2011, 01:56 PM
    I don't know if other religions use Sacramental Packets, but I will answer based on my knowledge of how the Catholic Church looks at Sacraments.

"They are any object or prayer or action that can put us in touch with God's grace in Christ. Like sacraments, sacramentals make available to us the stream of divine grace which flows from the paschal mystery of the passion, death, and resurrection of Christ, the fountain from which all sacraments and sacramentals draw their power."
    Source: A Handbook of Catholic Sacramentals, ISBN: 0-87973-448-5, (1991), Our Sunday Visitor, Inc., Huntington, IN., P. 11

The packets can be given for any use that brings the user/wearer of the Sacramentals closer to remembering and understanding 'God's Grace in Christ' as well as helping the sick and dying.

Further, the salt, wherever sprinkled would ward off evil. The green Scapular is to heal one spiritually and physically. The Miraculous Medal, also known as the Medal of the Immaculate Conception, was created from visions St. Catherins Leboure had of the Virgin Mary where Mary showed her what the Medal should look like and said all that wore it would be blessed with special graces. The St. Benedict Medal has been used for centuries, believed to protect the wearer from spiritual and physical danger.

Many people believe these blessed items hold mystical or supernatural power, but they do not. They are only to serve as physical reminders of one's faith and devotion. Worn out Sacramentals need to be disposed of with reverence.

They cannot be thrown in the garbage or resemble a sacramental object. If the worn out item can be burned, then burn it and then bury it. If it cannot be burned, than break it up and bury it. Find a location where people will not be walking over the buried item.

Since these are not worn, from what I understand, you can keep them as a reminder of your Grandmother's faith as long as you keep them protected and they do not become 'misused'. An interesting fact, there is a special sink in the Catholic Church where the drainage pipe does not go to the sewage line. It goes directly into the ground so that any Blood of Christ would be disposed of in the most reverential way possible, in the ground, when cleaning the Communion Chalices.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 20, 2011, 02:11 PM
    I'm especially interested in the meaning behind each item:

Blessed Salt - Christians are the salt of the earth?
    Green Scapular - "the yoke of Christ" -- reminder of a monk's scapular?
    Miraculous Medal - to wear at death for grace and blessing?
    St. Benedict Medal - ?
    Blessed Palm - reminder of Palm Sunday?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2011, 06:49 AM
    Here are some helpful links about the items named in the initial post. The key is recalling what a "Sacramental" is.

A sacramental is anything set apart or blessed by the Church to excite good thoughts and to increase devotion:
    CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Sacramentals

Blessed Salt:
    Blessed salt in Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blessed Salt

Green Scapular:
    Green Scapular - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Society of the Green Scapular

Miraculous Medal:
    Miraculous Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Miraculous Medal

St. Benedict Medal:
    Saint Benedict Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OSB. The Medal of Saint Benedict, information, description, history, effects, and suppliers

Blessed Palm:
    Palm Sunday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liturgical Year : Blessed Palms in the Home (Activity) - Catholic Culture

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Justification by faith and the Catholic Sacramental system [ 90 Answers ]

Justification by faith apart from works and Justification by faith and works are seamlessly combined in the Catholic Sacramental System. Justification by faith apart from works succinctly describes the Sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation, Confirmation, Anointing and Eucharist. The Catholic...

The Packet 3 notice? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I read form some case, they got troube by "the Packet 3 notice" get lost. Please, tell me what is the Packet 3 notice mean? I am also worry about some of my document get lost. Thank you

Packet loss [ 3 Answers ]

hello this is my first time here, I need some BIG help, I got virgin media around 3 month ago, and for the first week things where perfect, but after that it all went down hill, my 10mb internet has had tons of faults n troubles ever since then, firstly it was disconecting itself, then a month...

Packet sniffer [ 1 Answers ]

I know how to use a packet sniffer and I know that it can give me an idea of what is going on across my network. I have seen that there are programs that will take the packets that I log with my packet sniffer and then complie them to see what the files that are being transferred. Can anyone tell...

View more questions Search