Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DeputyDog100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2011, 06:17 AM
    Pension money exempt from US taxes?
    I live overseas and have done for 33 years. All my pension and SS money was paid for overseas. I use to get exemption from 2555 and 1116 forms, however I do not think this covers me after retirement?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 11:22 AM
    If the Social Security and pension income is NOT subject to taxes in the country where you live (likely if there is a tax treaty between that country and the U.S.), then your assumption is CORRECT: neither Form 2555 nor Form 1116 apply.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 06:10 PM
    The pension income cannot be excluded from income via Form 2555. However, if the pension income is subject to foreign income taxes, then Form 1116 can be used to avoid double taxation.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 07:29 PM
    The treatment for pension and social security benefits depend upon tax treaty between U.S. and your resident country. Normally, social security, government pension and public pension are taxable only in the source country while private pension is taxable in the resident country. Your country of residence?
    irandar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2012, 04:39 AM
    Hello,

I am a US citizen and have been working in Switzerland for more than 30 years. Now retired, I still live here. My pension comes from the Swiss government pension fund and is taxed here. Here my Swiss taxes are low, and this compounded with a low USD against the CHF in 2011, gives me a high taxable income. I have been using the form 1116 and wonder if the 2555 foreign earned income form can be applied to my situation. Thanks IJD
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 26, 2012, 07:08 PM
    Form 2555 cannot be used to exclude pension, but, under tbe tax treaty, the pension is probably NOT subject to U.S. income taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my Social Security Disability money exempt from spousal maintence? [ 6 Answers ]

I was left alone/stranded by my soon to be ex wife and her son. I am disabled and have no other source of income except my S.S.D. monies. Are my S.S.D. monies exempt from spousal maintenance my soon to ex wife is going after?

Early distritribution of pension money [ 3 Answers ]

My wife (36 years old) worked for State Street Bank in Massachusetts for six 6 years and qualified for Pension benefits. In 2006, she borrowed $7000 against her 401k in State Street Bank to remodel the home. She left SSB in the summer of 2006 for another job. In February 2007, she asked for a...

Exempt Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How does an employee claim exempt on there taxes do they need a certain form

Need a certificate to exempt from FICA taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in OPT and working as full time now. I know I don't have to pay FICA and FICA MedC taxes, but my employer/company will not stop withholding those taxes for me UNLESS I have a written certification to prove that I don't have to pay the society security taxes." So I just want to know how I...

View more questions Search