Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjjudge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 10:57 PM
    Gift of cash to me I put in IRA -- Will the withdrawal be taxable?
    Gift of cash to me I put in ira- Will the withdrawal be taxable?
    cjjudge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 11:02 PM
    I should not have put cash gift in IRA and now I want to put in savings.
    Will the withdrawal be taxable income now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2011, 08:53 AM
    No, but any interest you earned will be. A gift represents a taxable event to the donor, not the recipient. So even if you had just put it into a regular investment, you wouldn't owe taxes on it. But any income you earned will become taxable.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
    When you put the money into the IRA, did you have taxable EARNED income in that tax year? If not, then you were NOT ELIGIBLE to contribute to the IRA, and you should withdraw the money ASAP!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 09:03 AM
    The answer to this question is - it depends:

(a) If you put the money into a Roth IRA and the account is at least 5 years old when you make the withdrawal then it is not taxable. If the Roth account is less than 5 years old when you make the withdrawal then the earnings are taxable, but not the original amount you invested.

(b) If you put the money into a traditional IRA then the fraction of the withdrawal that is attributable to earnings plus pre-tax contributions is taxable, and the portion attributable to after-tax contributions is not. "Pre-tax contributions" means IRA contributions for which you took a deduction, and "after-tax contributions" means contributions that you did not deduct.

(c) In all cases if you make a withdrawal prior to age 59-1/2 then you may also owe a 10% early withdrawal penalty, unless you use the funds for one of the exceptions allowed by the IRS. Post back if you need more info on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have rescinded my citizenship and 61 years old and how do I cash I cash out my IRA [ 2 Answers ]

Tax implication on cashing out IRA for someone who has rescinded the citizenship and have turned 60.

Is the gift from non-us citizen taxable? [ 1 Answers ]

My aunt who was non-US citizen living in Europe, proir her death from cancer, gave me her saving in a form gift of 90K that I transferred from abroad to my US bank account. It this money taxable or/and reportable?

Taxable gift amount [ 1 Answers ]

What is the maximum amount an individual can receive as a gift before they are taxed?

IRA Withdrawal at 70-1/2 [ 1 Answers ]

I will turn 70-1/2 in July of 2007. Is it better to withdraw the required amount for 2007 prior to July, or can I wait until December? I remember reading something about if one waits too long that you have to take two withdrawals in one year. I would prefer not to have to do that. Thank you.

IRA Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I would like to put a down payment on a house using my IRA account. I am a first time buyer, but my husband is not. Is there a way to avoid the 10% penalty? Also, should we have the taxes withdrawn now or wait until tax time? Thanks.

View more questions Search