Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yungfeenxm23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 07:49 PM
    Can I sue my father for neglect?
    Was raised with my mother frum the age of 6. Dad lives in another state he doesn't pay child support. Was never told to. He has 3 other kids my brothers and sister. All have a great life except me.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2011, 08:07 PM
    Didn't your mother file for child support? And what difference does it make if his 3 other kids "have a great life" and you don't? You make your own way in this life without his help/money. Who told you he didn't have to pay child support?

Dec 17, 2011, 08:15 PM
    No my mother has nevet filed for child support. She didn't wan to put him true that. Now she regrets not doing it. Yess you are right I make my own way in this life but the difference between myself and my siblings are there citizens oof the u.s.a I'm not. And my father is holding that away from me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2011, 08:50 PM
    No you can't sue him. If your mother did not file for support then that was her mistake.

As for citizenship, is he listed on your birth certificate? How is he holding US citizenship from you?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 08:55 PM
    Sorry no, if anyone is more at fault, sorry it is your mom. You dad while he may have had a moral duty o pay, did not have a legal duty to pay since your mother never filed for support.

Your father can not hold anything away from you, if you are his child and he was a citizen then you are a citizen. You will merely have to prove he is your father that that point

Dec 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
    He's holding U.S. Citizenship from me by not fileing documents for me. My mother can't do it because she has the same status as me. He's really greefy he wants to get it done where he is so he can get social security benefits. I don't live with him though. Im with my mother
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungfeenxm23 View Post
    He's holding U.S. Citizenship from me by not fileing documents for me. ...
    Were you born in the U.S. If so, without regard to who your father is, you are a U.S. citizen. So I assume you were not.

Is he on your birth certificate? You may have to prove that he is your father. This would require paternity testing. Has such testing ever been done?

Then, to answer your question as to whether you can sue him for neglect: probably not. For one thing, much of it would be barred by a statute of limitations, I expect.
    Julie Stitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2013, 02:17 PM
    Wow- what a sad story. .
    Children have a right to be taken care of. Especially if they have a deadbeat father who has neglected to provide the child with the very minimum of anything - either emotional support or the basics of food clothing & shelter... what a big man.
    I would be pretty angry with him.
    Sure, your mom didn't file for support- but he did probably know you were out there in the world somewhere.
    My son's father was the same way. I didn't sue him because he scared the heck out of me, and I was too young and stupid. Perhaps if my neglectful father had done his duty, I would have sued, but when you are a teenager, you really have no idea of what you are getting into.
    I am grateful that I got out of that relationship with my life. But he got away with being a deadbeat, and an abuser, in addition to ruining my & my son's lives.

I am still waiting for karma to give him a slow painful cancer.. .

What a tragedy for that child... she or he did not ask to be born.
    Can't believe the law protects this sort of JERK.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 6, 2013, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Stitz View Post
    I am still waiting for karma to give him a slow painful cancer. . .
    Unforgiveness will hurt you, not him. Seriously. Forgive him for your sake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue my parents for neglect and health issues? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, the best way to start is that when I was 10 my dad died, I lived with him really for the 10 years, he did the best for me, but when he ended up passing away I was sent to live with my mom. She's never really had a stable life style, always moving to different cities and always just to wrapped...

Can I sue both or one of my parents for abuse and neglect? [ 5 Answers ]

Up until I was 5 my parents were separated, and my father lived in the US, while my mom went to live in japan to live a better life. Me, well I lived with my grandmother until then in Korea. It was really not that great, my mom sometimes sent some money for my upbringing, but we had no contact from...

How to sue for neglect [ 3 Answers ]

I hired a care giver from a reputable company.her job was to take my autistic son in the community to learn every day skills example... shopping, movies,socializaing exc.well she took him to bars while she drank,left in unattended while she went to bingo,smoked while driving in the car my son is an...

Can I sue my wealthy parents for neglect, emotional damage? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 24 years old and I have been on my own pretty much since I was 17 years old. I was raised by my mother who has a PhD and is a professor at a university. My father owns a manufacturing company in Jamaica which employs over 400 people. He also had a short senatorial term a few years ago. He is...

Can I sue my ex husband for abandoment and neglect [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 5 years old and has spent little time with him since birth. He fathers children throughout the area and claims he has no son. Xmas, birthdays, and other holidays he doesn't contact at all. I want to know if I have legal grounds to sue for abandonment, child neglect, and taking his rights...

View more questions Search