Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justme99336 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 07:41 PM
    Who is at fault?
    My friend and I were hit by a semi truck. The semi's insurance stated that since it was cut off by an unknown SUV, they won't pay for fixing my friend's car or any of the injuries we got from this. They said that we have to file for a phantom driver accident.

How can the semi-truck truck driver's insurance say they were not liable? They rear ended us. Is there something else that can be done?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2011, 08:04 PM
    Who got the ticket? Have you contacted your own insurance company about this accident?

You may need to retain a good personal injury attorney to handle this matter for you if you are not getting anywhere with the semi's insurance carrier.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2011, 08:57 PM
    They can say that because they don't want to pay. So, you file a claim with your insurer. They will deal with the other insurer.

Were the police called? A report made? Did an investigator check the other driver's story? It may be necessary to file suit against the other driver and his carrier, but your carrier should handle that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2011, 09:01 PM
    It is called lying and hoping they can get by with it.
    Many, many companies refuse payment the first time they get a claim.
    That is why you turn it over to your insurance, get paid your claim and allow your insurance to sue the other company.

Dec 18, 2011, 10:14 AM
    My friend didn't get a ticket, but we don't know about the trucker. My friend contacted her insurance. They're paying for personal injury.

The police came and a report was made.

Thanks everyone.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justme99336 View Post
    ... My friend contacted her insurance. They're paying for personal injury. ...
    How much are they paying for? Medical expenses? Pain an suffering?

And what about repair of her vehicle? Is this being paid?

If the PI isn't being adequately paid, or the vehicle damage, consider filing suit.

Dec 18, 2011, 10:40 AM
    My friend's insurance is paying $10,000 per person. The other company refuses to fix her car or give us anything else. My friend got a lawyer, but she isn't doing anything but taking the insurance company's word on it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justme99336 View Post
    My friend didn't get a ticket, but we don't know about the trucker. ...
    Her attorney should look into whether the driver was ticketed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
    If her carrier isn't paying for her car then I suspect she didn't have collision coverage, just liability.

She shouldn't be doing anything, she should let her attorney deal with the trucker's insurer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My york furnace is reading a fault #9(Grounding or reverse polarity fault)? [ 0 Answers ]

My furnace is reading a #9 fault, which the legend says it's a grounding or reverse polarity fault. I have power in, 120V at the transformer as well as 24V, there is a call for heat and 24V at the R & W terminals. Is there any input anyone can offer me? Thank you.

I had accident last month.It was other guy's fault.no police report.he says my fault [ 13 Answers ]

I had accident last month.It was other guy's fault. He admitted it. So I didn't call the police & no police report. After filing the claim with his insurance company, he has said that it was my fault. So his insurance company denied my claim. They say that they denied the claim because there is no...

Is it MY fault? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I broke up with my girlfriend two days ago, we had been together for 3 years and we had such wonderful moments together. The thing is we argued, a lot, we argued at least 2 times a week if we saw each other 5 days i.e.. We always argued for silly things, and it usually end up with me...

Is it possible to get no fault auto accident changed to at fault? [ 0 Answers ]

The police declared the auto accident I was in a no fault because there was no witness to claim who was at fault. Should he have done more investigating to determine fault? Can I hire someone to investigate where fault was?

Is it possible to change a at fault auto accident to no fault in NYS [ 4 Answers ]

How do you get a at fault accident changed to no fault? No guide rails on the shoulder of a 20 foot drop made from a culvert pipe - was clearly not drivers fault but is on the accident report as at fault. No markers of any danger. Is there anything that can be done?

View more questions Search