Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 17, 2011, 07:01 PM
    Capital Gains vs Losses
    We have a joint taxable account with our children as beneficiary. In another joint taxable account we have our grandchildren as beneficiary. Since we own both, can we combine the gains against the losses? Or do we need to combine the accounts into one for tax purposes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 11:17 AM
    FinanceTutor's answer IS accurate. As long as your SSNs are listed on the accounts, the IRS considers both accounts to belong to you (NOT the beneficiaries), so you can combine the gains and losses from both accounts on your Schedule D.

If you need professional help filing your 23011 tax return, email me at [email protected].
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 06:20 PM
    The taxation of a jointly owned account is not based on whose social security number is on the account.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 07:07 AM
    IntlTax:

On the SSN issue, granted that ownership is not determined SOLELY on whose SSN is on the account, but that is the first indicator that the IRS uses when matching the Form 1099-B to the tax returns. Further, the SSN issue does not change the answer to the question.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 19, 2011, 07:37 AM
    Thanks to all who responded, I think, I now know that it is not necessary for me to combine the accounts into one account inorder to total up the losses vs gains.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Catonsville:

Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CA capital gains and losses question [ 7 Answers ]

I had a question with regards to capital gains and losses for CA. I am using turbo tax to do my taxes and in the capital gains and losses section they ask on CA source of income for the stocks. Not sure what is meant by CA source of income. I had questions about 3 situations 1: Stocks I brought...

Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid...

Capital Gains in 2007, but heavy losses in 2008. Suggestions on Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm hurting, like many folks in the market today. Basically, I made some money in 07 and owe Uncle Sam taxes; however, in 08 I've lost all of my capital gains from 07 and then some. I need some professional tax advice... 1. Are there any tax advice to reduce the amount I owe on capital...

Tax treatment for capital gains and losses for year 2007 [ 6 Answers ]

How to treat gains and losses and offsetting?:confused:

Capital gains and losses [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a loss on the sale of stock. I understand I can only claim 3000 per year. Does this mean I can deduct the entire 3000.00 or is it a percentage of the 3000.00? By the way this is a long term loss.

View more questions Search