Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AAAC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Taking st johns worts and 5-HTP
    Hi I am just wondering if it is safe to be taking these two at the same time for depression like symptoms. Also what is a good dosage for both as well? Because I have seen mixed answers from all around and on the back of my bottle for st johns worts it says to take 3 capsules daily but each one is 1,500mg which seems to be a lot considering that is 4,500mg a day and I see most people saying that about 900mg a day is best. I don't want to keep taking it as the bottle says if it is not safe but I do want to take however much to help me get better, so if someone could let me know.

Thx
    SarahKCE Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 04:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAC
    Hi I am just wondering if it is safe to be taking these two at the same time for depression like symptoms. Also what is a good dosage for both as well? Because I have seen mixed answers from all around and on the back of my bottle for st johns worts it says to take 3 capsules daily but each one is 1,500mg which seems to be alot considering that is 4,500mg a day and I see most people saying that about 900mg a day is best. I dont want to keep taking it as the bottle says if it is not safe but I do want to take however much to help me get better, so if someone could let me know.

Thx
    Hi there, 900mg is about best - 1500mg of St Johns Wort is really too high, unless you've seen a medical herbalist and they've recommended that dosage. 5-HTP is best taken in the evening, approx an hour before bedtime. If you stick to the RDA of St John's Wort, then you can also take 5-HTP, but don't take them at the same time of day. Good luck :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking advantage or what? [ 10 Answers ]

So I got this job a little over 3 months ago through a temp agency, when I interviewed they said I would be a receptionist/ admin assist. I do NOT do any reception or admin assist. I am in the shipping dept. handling mail and shipping and receiving. When I started working they offered me $13, which...

Taking pills [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I am currently taking propecia (finasteride) for hairloss. I also take many other pills like vitamin a, e, c , b and other pills like ginko biloba, zoloft, ginseng, multivitamin, beta carotene, and saw palmetto. I think that is it. I was wondering if it would be better for me to split up...

Taking the hyphen off last name. [ 7 Answers ]

How can I take the hyphenated name off my son's last name? The father has not been a part of my son's life and now I don't know where he is even living. Everybody except the school board refers to my son by just my last name.

Taking a break [ 13 Answers ]

Hey everyone just to let you know, so you don't wonder where I've gone, I'm taking a few days' break from the site. I injured my back and I am having trouble sitting for long periods. I was on for a little while yesterday and also today, but I'm even finding typing difficult after a few minutes. I...

Taking taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please tell me why they take you tax refund on a chapter 7 bankruptcy

View more questions Search