Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zachara356 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Moved in a few months ago, Hardwood Floor Gaps
    Hi,

I moved into a townhome style condo a few months ago. It came with hardwood floors. I really know nothing about hardwood floors so I can't really tell you much about it. I know its very thin Oak. My problem has been over the winter here. In couple of spots around the house: I have noticed gaps in the wood. From what I understand, this is seasonal and should not be that much of a concern.

However, I have sliding doors that go out to my patio. There is a vent there as well. What I have noticed there, aside from the separating, I have noticed that the boards around the vent have also lifted a little creating a gap between the wood and the foundation underneath. So if you step on that wood, it feels springy as you press and depress your foot off the wood.

This is a concern to me as I have recently heard there may be water coming in. Has anyone experienced this? Is there anything I can do?

My fiancé and I are considering new flooring. We are looking at bamboo. We decided this since upstairs we have carpet that will be need to be replaced as well. So we are looking at replacing all in the house. I am just worried that I am going to replace the wood only to have the same problems down the road.

Any help or somewhere I can go to learn this stuff would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Wood floors will expand and contract due to relative humidity in your home. Low humidity in the winter shrinks the flooring and cracks may show. Shrinking also loosens the bond between boards and this could allow warping. Can't tell you much more because I don't know the thickness of your boards or how they are attached. You might be able to lift the boards at the vent and put some construction adhesive between the boards and the concrete. Place a very heavy object on the boards for a few days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just had a baby 6 months ago could I be pregnant again? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am 21 years old I just had my first baby in April and it was a rough pregnancy I found out that I have an autoimmune diease which one is not clear yet we just know I clot easily. Anyhow I developed Preeclampsia in my 9th month of pregnancy and was induced 2 weeks before my due date. My...

Glue on hardwood floor [ 5 Answers ]

Just ripped up the carpet and found maple hardwood floors underneath, on one part there is a stretch where it was glued. Does anyone the best producted to use to remove it? Or is sanding my only option? Thanks.

Installing toilet over new hardwood floors - flange is now below floor level [ 2 Answers ]

I have remodeled a bathroom and replaced carpet floors with hardwood. This now puts the toilet flange below the floor level. Is there a thicker or additional flange to bring the connection (with the toilet) level up 1/2 to 3/4 inches?

Had Mono 5 months ago, now have pain in upper left abdomen [ 2 Answers ]

I had mono for about 6 weeks in July, 06. About two months ago, I started having mild abdominal pain in my upper left abdomen. It has gotten no better nor worse during that time. It does not inhibit me from my normal activities; it's just worrying. It feels similar to how that area felt when I had...

View more questions Search