Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mccoyslm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 07:02 PM
    Ex in law living on my property
    My ex mother in law lives on the same property that I own and live on. I have paid all the taxes and everything is current. The titles and deed are in my name only. She has never paid any rent since 1980. I divorced her son in 1988. Does she have any rights to tell me what I can and cannot do with my property. What are my options
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 07:06 PM
    If she doesn't have any ownership interest in the property then she is considered to be a resident and has the same rights as a month-to-month tenant.

If you want to sell or lease the property then you can give her a notice to vacate. The time for the notice in most states is 30 days. However some states require 60 days.

Tell us your location and more about the situation and we can give you a better answer.

Dec 16, 2011, 07:32 PM
    I live in Jacksonville Florida. I have been divorced from her son since 1988. There is nothing in the divorce decree that says she has any ownership in the property. Out of the goodness of my heart I have allowed her to stay rent free with no other obligations. I pay all the property taxes. Now she is telling me she is entitled to stay as long as she wants too. Se has been there since 1980. Her son my ex is now living with her and they want to get another mobile home put on my property.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 16, 2011, 07:48 PM
    No, neither of them have that right, but they do need to be evicted formally, through the courts, if they won't leave after being given written notice. Her age doesn't really matter, but if she is elderly, you might want to help out a little by calling the city social services to get her public housing. Of course her son must have money if he wants to put a mobile home on the land. Call the zoning office too to arm yourself with laws about what can go on the land. Just to be prepared while you go through evictions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 07:54 PM
    You need to clear this up, I will assume in the divorce you were awarded or got all ownership of the property. You said she did not get any right to it, at the divorce but what about your ex ? What was his rights in the divorce to property ?

Now issue, who owns the trailer they live in( guessing it is a trailer) do you own it also or is it in ex's or inlaws name.

The trailer will have a title, and is not normally on the deed to the property.

If they start to put another trailer on the property you would notify the company that the land is not theirs and they do not have permission.

To make it clear who owns what, you should if you will allow them to stay, give them a 30 day notice of the intent to start charging rent, it can even be a low amount, but it will clear up who owns what.

Dec 16, 2011, 08:00 PM
    She owns the trailer they live in now. He has no rights to the property. I had the proprty refinanced after the divorce and I made every single payment at it is paid off and I have clear title in my name only.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 08:36 PM
    What exactly do you want to do?

Do you want her and your ex to leave the property? Or are you willing to allow them to stay there as long as they don't put another trailer there?

Tell us what you want to do and we'll tell you how to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think the property I am living on is haunted or something like a canable is around. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, well. A few weeks ago I seen somebody out near my log path, & my sister seen a shadow a few nights ago with her boyfriend, And my mom had a dream that she seen someone on the log trail.. and yesterday (8/27/11), My mom heard someone say "kitty, kitty, kitty" up in the woods, and we have like...

I need to evict a squatter who is living on my property in San Bernardino Calif [ 1 Answers ]

Desert proerty in San Bernardino, CA county owned by a trust just inherited. A person has moved a trailer onto the property and is currently residing there while using the unlivable cabin structure as an outhouse. She's known by the authorities as having mental illness issues, and claims...

Is a will valid if living comman law in ontario, canada? [ 4 Answers ]

If your common law partner has you as his beneficiary for pension/life ins/rrsp's (& vice a versa). Are you entitled to it without any family member on his side disputing it? If your partner owns a home in his name, and there is no will, can his family or the estate take it from you. Have been...

Transferring property to a revocable living trust [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to transfer three properties that my husband and I own jointly. We set up a revocable trust and now we want to fund that trust with our property and other things. What type of Deed would I use to transfer these properties from our names to our trust. Can you provide me with the...

View more questions Search