Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 16, 2011, 07:00 PM
    Xmas Office etiquette
    Last year, my first xmas with the company, My bosses (immediate and 2 levels up) each gave me xmas presents (gift cards). I'm assuming they will do the same this year. Since they are my supervisors do I need to reciprocate? If so, how?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Last year, my first xmas with the company, My bosses (immediate and 2 levels up) each gave me xmas presents (gift cards). I'm assuming they will do the same this year. Since they are my supervisors do I need to reciprocate? If so, how?
    Does the money for the gift card come out of their pockets or out of company money? (I'm guessing the latter.)

Does everyone get a gift card, or just certain (cute? Cuddly?) employees?

We solved the problem of thank you to supervisors by having a Christmas potluck in early December for which employees (not supers) signed up to bring an appetizer, a dish to pass, or a dessert. The library director provided paper products and beverages (out of library petty cash). The potluck was held as a lunchtime (12-2) thing or on a day when the library closed at 5.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 16, 2011, 07:59 PM
    I wouldn't reciprocate in the gifty sense, and I'd keep it very inexpensive. A joke item like a panic button for their keyboards, or a chocolate Santa, or a mini Patron tequila (for the nice bottle), just put on their desks at a different time. Actually I'm not sure how cheap those Patrons are but they sure are cute. Hint hint. Tiny enough to fit through the internet.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 08:25 PM
    Or I know as a boss, some home made ( OK or even store bought) cookies, fudge and candy is never a bad idea, if you want to give a gift.

Also merely ask a couple other employees of your same level what they do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 16, 2011, 08:32 PM
    I'l have to check what other employees do. But I'm pretty sure this comes out of their own pockets.

I was thinking the same along the lines of a small gift like food etc.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 08:38 PM
    Cookies. As long as they're not allergic or diabetic you can never go wrong with cookies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Office etiquette regarding Christmas presents. [ 9 Answers ]

I am an Administrative Assistant in a Medical Department at a large University Hospital. Every year the three Doctors and two Nurses and I exchange gifts. Mine are usually not very expensive gifts, but I put my heart into each one. Their gifts to me are generous - money, gift cards, etc. ...

Xmas song lyrics "i love xmas on the radio" with a girl and hoarse voice at times [ 1 Answers ]

"i love christmas on the radio" Woman's voice About hearing xmas music At times radio is sung with a hoarse voice like gritty sounds cool

Xmas reminder to the ex - what do you think? [ 17 Answers ]

I was thinking about putting a photo of the time I know when my girlfriend was happiest under the door on xmas day, on the back saying 'thinking of you'. Is this a bad idea? For those who don't know my story, my (ex?) girlfriend of 4 years says she loves me and will always loves me but is...

Home Alone @ Xmas [ 9 Answers ]

I have a problem. If you have read all my other threads then you will know that my parents have split up etc. Anyway usually at xmas there is usually me, my mum, my two brothers, my nan, my auntie, my uncle, my cousin and my step-dad. It has been tradition for years - it's never been any...

View more questions Search