Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tjohn2008 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2011, 11:04 AM
    Boyfriend's mother is dying and affecting the relationship with his daughter
    Okay my boyfriend's mother has been sick from 2007 the same year I got pregnant with his daughter she and I have had outs since then as she told me that my daughter would quote "never be loved or accepted by her or her family" she said my child would be retarded with no shoes or clothes which is far from what the situation is now with no help from her or her son. Now she's been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and its affecting the already strained relationship between my daughter and her father as well as the relationship between he and I. Now I don't fault him for wanting to be there for his mother as he waits for her to die but he wants me to be there for him when he's not there for his child. I don't know what to do as his girlfriend/child's mother since he isn't doing his share as a father. Can someone give me advice?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2011, 11:38 AM
    "As he waits for her to die?" Chilling and very well expresses your thoughts on the subject - however, upsetting those thoughts are to the people reading this.

I understnd the barefoot and pregnant, never being loved by her and her family, no clothes or shoes but I'm at a loss about the "retarded" part.

So what do you do? First, you make sure the child is supported financially by going to Court and getting a support Order. That's "his share." You cannot force or order someone to be a good parent.

Where is he living? With you, with his mother, some other place?

It's difficult watching someone die. Maybe he's emotionally exhausted. I don't know.

Tell him what you and your daughter need from him and see how he responds.

Dec 16, 2011, 11:56 AM
    Okay sorry as I am going in reverse to answer your questions. I have expressed our needs timelessly and needless to say nothing has changed permanently. He lives with his mother. He claims emotional exhaustion so I have been flexible with my expectations. I don't stop him from seeing his daughter ever I'm willing to make arrangements for her to see him on weekends but he doesn't take. I tried three times for child support and the process has been prolonged that I can bother with it anymore. Yes the woman said my child was going to be retarded because my daughter wasn't planned and I took plan B (which didn't work) and decided to keep her. Yes I know its cold to say "waiting for her to die" the way I did but I can't say it another way since she isn't actually fighting to live. The woman is a chronic asthmatic, diabetic, has had brain surgery and 6 heart attacks still smokes a pack a day and eats the garbage she isn't supposed to so its hard for me to be sympathetic as she now has lung cancer to add to the list. As you can read I have great issue with her now I just don't know what to do as everything is started to strain the relationship between my daughter and her father.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2011, 12:01 PM
    I don't think there is anything you can do. You cannot force "him" to be a good father.

I realize it's hard to be sympathetic when this woman has caused you nothing but grief and apparently won't take care of herself. However, at this point in time she probably is just "enjoying" the little time she has left. What good does it to do to stop smoking now?

Dec 16, 2011, 12:09 PM
    Her continued smoking is understandable. I mean why not have the simple pleasures. I just thought maybe there is something else I could do for since my daughter wants her father around and she doesn't get the time of day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm jealous of my boyfriend's relationship with his 7 year old daughter [ 11 Answers ]

I feel ridiculous admitting this but I'm jealous of the relationship my boyfriend has with his 7 year old daughter. We've been dating almost 2 years, and there has been so much stress! We're both divorced, and met while we were separated. Both of our spouses left us.I have no children, (I'm 41) and...

Mend a mother daughter relationship [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter has been through a lot with her family. I was a binge drinker and dealt with my sons heroin addiction and the other sons epilepsy as best as I could and still support all three children by myself. I wore out and lost everything and started over. My daughter seems to feel she was cast...

Why is my boyfriend's dying mother coming between us [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend's mother and him were never close. She left him, his father, and his 2 siblings and married his dad's brother and moved away, splitting the family in half. She is now back dying of liver cirrhosis and her and the "uncle"/"step-dad" are in need of help. It is so hard to deal with my...

Mother, daughter relationship [ 7 Answers ]

My two daughters feel that I was not as good a mother as I should have been and they hold that against me to this day even though both of them are married. I was a single parent, worked two jobs, got an advanced degree and tried to give them the things other kids had. One is an attorney and one...

Boyfriend's Mother is Dying of Cancer [ 3 Answers ]

I was just looking for some advice. My boyfriend of 2 years mother was diagnosed with cancer last month. She has had several surgeries this month, but and things have not been looking good. We were told today that the doctor said they will make her comfortable, but that she will not recover from...

View more questions Search