Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 07:27 AM
    Add/remove programs problem
    I'm trying to remove Firefox so that I can reinstall it. I've had some issues lately I hope I've fixed. However when I bring up the add/remove programs window I get this error...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

What does this mean? How can I fix it? Oh, and please dumb it down for me, I'm not technically savvy.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
    Just reinstall over the top of it, no need to uninstall..

Now where are you getting this error?
    If it's only on the add/remove system then use CCleaner tools instead..
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 10:01 AM
    I can't reinstall over the top of it. I've tried. I'm running Avast right now, I've done a system restore, to no avail.

CCleaner? I'll try that too. All of the problems started after Little J installed World of Tanks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 16, 2011, 10:03 AM
    Either that or throw in the towel and move to Google's chrome.
    Great for playing FB games ;)
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Dec 28, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Google this "completely remove firefox" and they have on their site instructions for a manual removal. Often rundll errors come from a virus infection that removes or alters the file. If you have more tham one PC with the same OS, you can copy the file from the one good one to the system 32 folder of the other as long as you put it in the proper place. If the rundll file is listed in the bad machine you can rename it like rundllold.exe and add the other to see if it fixes the issue.
    crazyknarf Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
    Had the same thing with my windows 7.

Use Repair function in Safe mode. (F8).

Keep what you want, but safer to start from scratch. Or the original windows disk. Or the recovery disk. And set it to factory restore. This will wipe the hard drive of any viruses that are infecting your system.

This is the only way to remove a very nasty computer virus.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Numerous Java in add remove programs [ 7 Answers ]

I have Java 2 runtime environment SE V1.4.2_03, Java2 runtime environment 6 update1, J2SE runtime environment 5.0 update 10 and JRSE runtime environment 5.0 update 11 in my add remove programs. I was told by someone on another site that I should uninstall all of these and then get the latest...

Deleting Programs from Add/Remove Control Panel [ 2 Answers ]

I have tons of stuff in my Add/Remove panel. Can anyone tell me an easy way to know which programs I can delete that are taking up room on my computer. The obvious ones, Internet Explorer, and programs that I use often, I know about, but there are so many I have no idea what they are and I don't...

I am trying to uninstall Yahoo! Messenger from Add/Remove Programs. However, when I [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to uninstall Yahoo! Messenger from Add/Remove Programs. However, when I attempt to do so, I get the following error message: Could not open INSTALL.LOG file

What is (Remove only)? [Add or Remove Programs] [ 2 Answers ]

When I access Add or Remove Programs, I often see '(Remove only)' by the side of some programs, but I don't actually know what it means. If any of you can help me then feel free. Thanks.

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

View more questions Search