Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    topjimmy317 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2011, 05:42 AM
    The owner and the bank claim its not their property
    Okay please bare with me on this confusion , I sold this house in 2007 , I was the first owner of this house . Since then the guy I sold it to filed bankruptcy and no longer lives in the house , he moved to porta Rico . The house has been empty for 2 yrs . I have been asking him to sell it back to me but he tells me " I have no control over the property you have to deal with the bank , I made a special trip back there to sign off on the property in my bankruptcy. I would love to see you get the house back but I have no control of it"
    So I do my leg work and contact the bank . I was contacting the lawyer of the bank that said she would look into it . I want to buy this house back . After a few weeks she called me back saying " you have to deal with the owner so he can sell it to you . We do not own this property " . So now I contact the title company and taxes are being paid , the pool screen has pad locks on it and the front door has a lock box , also I seen some guys out there cutting the grass and asked them , who do you send the bill to ? They told me " we have no info about the house "

So this is what I want to do... Ready ?
    Produce a lease for the property so I can get power and water , clean the place up , live in it and wait for the real owner to stand up and ask me to either leave or buy it .
    Your thoughts !
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 16, 2011, 06:28 AM
    Lock box on door suggests real estate broker involvement, but it's probably in some sort of limbo at the moment, and with foreclosures, limbo can last a very long time. Go to the town hall assessor's office or tax office, get the property card, which will have the current owner on it. Or you may have to ask around various offices there, such as the deed office and tax collector. Don't count on anyone rushing to sell it to you, despite being a former owner or despite waving money at them, or even despite it needing to sell. Unless it goes to auction.
    topjimmy317 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2011, 08:27 AM
    Been there done that... No lis penace , no auction notices , tax collector still in owners name , title company still pays escrow . Owner pays nothing out . I am so confused , now this is why I want to move in till the real property owner steps forward .
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2011, 09:02 AM
    Moving in absent some legal agreement or lease would be Trespassing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
    It is easy, go to the recorder of deed. Who ever is still listed as owner is the owner.

Ask the old owner to sign over any rights or ownership of the property to you. Or even a POA to act on his behalf on the property. Then you can find all the legal info on the house. Including working with payments to the bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owner and Contact Information for Property Owner [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know who and how to reach the owners of property located at {address removed}. Thanks,

SC Private Property Accident Directed by Property owner personnel [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my question and some back ground information. I was on private property when there was a medical emergency in progress. There were no signs, no alert, and no sirens. I was not aware of the situation. A person in uniform was blocking the property's exit and starts directing me...

Lease termination if property is bank owned and sold to a new owner [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of buying a small business that is currently bank owned. I will establish a lease with the bank. If the bank sells the property do I have to re-negociate a lease with the new owner or does the lease I have carry over until the expiration date?

Property lien with consent of property owner [ 4 Answers ]

May I put a lien on property, with the owners cooperation and what forms, process do I need? The lien would be to secure repayment of a loan to the property owner.

View more questions Search