Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSMEONA82 Posts: 10, Reputation: -1

Dec 15, 2011, 04:29 PM
    I smoked once in the last month. Can I be positive with a hair-follicle drug test?
    I smoked, well I don't know what I was doing, but I guess I had 4 pulls on some marijuina and kept in haling and blowing it back out... I really didn't no what I was doing... it was about a month and a half ago... I just took a hair follicle test will it be positive you think?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2011, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MSMEONA82 View Post
    I smoked, well I don't no what I was doing, but I guess I had 4 pulls on some marijuina and kept in haling and blowing it back out...I really didn't no what I was doing...it was about a month and a half ago...I just took a hair follicle test will it be postive you think?
    Probably not if that is the only time you smoked. The hair tests pick up heavy use but seldom detect single or infrequent users. (Galanter & Kleber, 2011)

Dec 15, 2011, 06:49 PM
    Thank you DrBill100 I was just reading a lot of reviews online and it was saying you'll fail and not pass and it was a month ago I smoked well thought I did. I just was afraid I will never ever smoke again!! But I have did those shot guns like 10 years ago one of those and smoked the time I just told u and maybe one year ago the same way but like 2 pulls does that change anything because I didn't no it went that far back?
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2011, 07:03 PM
    Thank you DrBill100 I was just reading alot of reviews online and it was saying you'll fail and not pass and it was a month ago I smoked well thought I did. I just was afraid I will never ever smoke again!!!!! But I have did those shot guns like 10 years ago one of those and smoked the time I just told u and maybe one year ago the same way but like 2 pulls does that change anything because I didn't no it went that far back?
    Makes no difference. Cannabis can build up in chronic users but the key is frequency and amount smoked. In addition hair testing isn't nearly as effective for marijuana use as for other base drugs.

Also, the test comprises about 1-1/2 inches of hair regardless of how long the hair is. That time limits to about 90 days.

Dec 15, 2011, 07:04 PM
    Thank you soooooooooooooooooooo much I will be back to post my outcome... WISH ME LUCK!!

Dec 16, 2011, 05:14 AM
    Will I pass?
    I made a dumb choice and smoked like 4 to 5 pulls on some marijuana didn't no what I was doing and basically was told I wasted it because I blew it back out. Now that was in NOV about the first week and just DEC 15 I took a hair test. Now I did a gun shot like 10 years ago well one of those and haven't done anything else since that NOV 1st I also last month in NOV took a urine test for a company and passed that so do you think the THC will show up and show me as negative or positive in a hair test?

Dec 20, 2011, 05:05 AM
    Pre employment hair drug screening?
    I made a dumb choice and smoked like 4 to 5 pulls on some marijuana Oct 1st didn't no what I was doing and basically was told I wasted it because I blew it back out. Now on Nov 3rd I took a urine test and passed that and just DEC 15 I took a hair test. Now I did a gun shot like 10 years ago well one of those and haven't done anything else since that Oct 1st so do you think the THC will show up and show me as negative or positive in a hair test? Please be honest because I hear one session isn't going to show then I hear differently and I hear of people using bongs and somking 2 to 3 times per week and passing... Thanks for all your opinions good or bad.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2011, 06:37 AM
    "What time period does a standard hair follicle test cover?
    A standard hair follicle screen covers a period of approximately 90 days, but is susceptible to time variation depending on the growth rate of your hair. The hair sample is cut as close to the scalp as possible and the most recent 3.9cm (or 1.5 inches) are tested. It is possible to go back even further than 90 days since the time period is limited only by the length of the hair sample, but is standardized to a 90 day history.

What type of drugs can be detected in a standard hair test?
    Cocaine (Cocaine & Benzoylecgonine), Marijuana, Opiates (Codeine, Morphine & 6-Monacteyl Morphine), Methamphetamine (Methamphetamine/Amphetamine & Ecstasy), and Phencyclidine (PCP). These five drug classes are mandated for testing by the Federal Government.

How fast does head hair grow?
    Hair collected at the crown of the head grows on the average of approximately 1.3 cm (or 1/2 inch) per month. This growth rate varies among people by approximately + .2 cm per month which can create a possible time variation of up to +1 week per month.. In the rare case where no hair is collectable, complete urine/adulteration testing may be utilized.

:How effective is hair follicle testing in detecting drug usage?
    In comparison to a urinalysis drug test, cocaine, PCP, opiates, and methamphetamine have proven hair analysis far more effective than urine testing in identifying low-level drug use over an extended period of time since these are normally out of the bloodstream in within 3-7 days (see drug detection times). The detection of marijuana is currently less sensitive than the other drugs in identifying low level drug users, but is considered approximately equal to urinalysis in identifying marijuana users. The detection period for hair is limited only by the length of the hair sample and is approximately 90 days for a standard screen.

Q:How do drugs get into hair?
    After a substance is ingested, whether orally, smoked, snorted, or injected, metabolites are produced as the drug is processed by the human body. As these drugs and metabolites circulate in the blood stream, they enter and nourish the hair follicle and are then inserted into the hair strand."

Hair Follicle Drug Testing FAQ - Hair Testing Facts

How did you take 4 or 5 pulls without knowing what you were doing?

I am not aware of anyone smoking bongs 2-3 times a week and passing a hair follicle test.

You've asked this 5 times. DrBill, our expert, answered you. I would guess you didn't like his answer (which is that you would most likely pass) because you've posted again since that question and answer. My answer is that you won't pass.

Now you have one pass and one won't pass.

Dec 20, 2011, 06:45 AM
    I did it one day not 2-3 times a week I may have said it wrong on oct 1st I took 3 to 4 swiggs/pulls on one joint and that was it. What is a bong?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2011, 06:46 AM
    I did it one day not 2-3 times a week I may have said it wrong on oct 1st i took 3 to 4 swiggs/pulls on one joint and that was it. What is a bong?

You referred to a bong - I assume you know what a bong is. I used YOUR words.

Dec 20, 2011, 06:52 AM
    I saw it online sorry I was reading other peoples reviwes I was just assuming since I'm so weak in knowing these terms that it was something major. But Do you think I will pass or fail according to my situation and to answer your question I didn't no what I was doing I was told how to but I inhaled it and blew it back out sorry if I confused you

Dec 20, 2011, 07:03 AM
    I do apologize maybe I read it wrong but I saw that term online and I assumed it was a tool used with heavy users. But do you feel I will pass or fail according to my sitaution?
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2011, 09:03 AM
    Hair testing does not have uniform sensitivity in relation to all drugs tested for. As example, cocaine is easy to detect in hair because it is incorporated into the hair. To put it basically, cocaine likes hair and attaches to it.

Not so with THC and even less so with THC-COOH (COOH is what they test for) both metabolites of cannabis. Neither metabolite of cannabis likes hair and simply doesn't get into and attach to hair, compared with other drugs. THC, and especially the main metabolite THC-COOH, have a very low incorporation rate (ICR) into hair. (see Musshoff & Madea)

As example, there is a 3600-fold difference between the ICR of cocaine and that of THC-COOH in hair... Unlike for other illicit drugs, hair analysis lacks
    The sensitivity to act as a detector for cannabinoids.. (Musshoff, pp 161-62)

Marilyn Huestis, National Institutes of Health, published a very thorough study on this subject. (Huestis, 2007)

The chance that you would have COOH in your system is very, very low.

There is a wider issue involved. Marijuana is the most tested for substance in the US. People have the idea that drugs somehow get into the hair via circulation all at the same rate of incorporation and stay there for a long period. Not true.

Those paying for a hair drug test, far more expensive than urine, should be advised that only heavy marijuana use is likely to show up and that urine assays are far more effective. False negatives are the rule rather than the exception when assaying low to moderate smokers via hair. (See Huestis, above) This leads to a false sense of security in parents and schools where hair testing is widely used. Marijuana use is not being detected until use is frequent and heavy (if hair test is sole method). These facts are not properly disclosed by the commercial testing labs.

Jan 6, 2012, 07:58 PM
    Well to dr bill100 you were right i passed and to judykaytee sorry hun but i passsed and i reposted a lot because it was done in error. So your guess was wrong!! I was scared of course bt at the end of the day i passed i passed i passed thank you drbill100!!

Jan 6, 2012, 08:04 PM
    Well to dr bill100 you were right i passed and to judykaytee sorry hun but i passsed and i reposted a lot because it was done in error. So your guess was wrong!! I was scared of course bt at the end of the day i passed i passed i passed thank you drbill100!!
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Probably so. Amphetamines have a greater affinity for hair than THC but most drugs aren't detected in hair* unless used in heavy dose (binge) or with some frequency. It isn't a matter of how long a substance stays in hair rather if it is incorporated in the first place.

*cocaine is a notable exception
    rosedog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Dr. Bill I have a HFT on October 14 2012. I took a couple hits of weed on Aug1. Will I pass the hft? Thanks
    drewbaby1414 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 06:13 PM
    Hi Doc,

Recovering addict with 3 years clean until I relapsed on Nov. 3rd in a big way. My addiction has always been with pain pills but I tried Heroin on Nov 3rd because I'm an addict.

Here is the question: I did heroin on Nov 3rd. It was a half CC of I don't know. The guy who gave it to me told me it was a weak dose or what he would call half a hit. I also took three Loratab 10's on the 4th. I've been clean since then and have started hitting my NA meetings after 1 year of not going.

I have a possible hair follicle test coming on Nov. 28th in a child custody case. I know THC is not very detectable but I don't know if opiates/single use of heroin will show up on the test... I'm just an idiot.

I don't know... I've read bleaching your hair/re-dye will lower concentration levels but I just need some oppionion as to what you think my chances are... Being dumb like I am I guess I deserve what I get.
    SWIFTKNIFE Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 12:09 AM
    DR.101--- I NEED YOUR HELP

I need ADVICE BECAUSE IM FREAKING OUT!!

One
    Month and three days ago I took a few hits from a small pipe of pot. It
    Was mostly like 4 to 5 smalls puffs... Anyway, I just recently took a
    Hair drug test. I was wondering if the weed will show up positive on my
    Test because I just got this amazing offer with a company and cant
    Imagine of losing it right now. I don't even smoke and it was a one time
    Thing with friends. I workout almost every week two or three times for
    An hour or so. My body fat right now is like 8 to 10 percent and my
    Weight is 165. Im 22 years old and my metabolism high for me being in
    Good shape. Before taking the Hair Test my friends told me to buy a new
    Towel, comb, and this detox shampoo that's suppose to work. Well The next
    Morning I woke up around 6:45 am and followed the procedures my friends
    Gave me and was in the shower for one hour. Then I didn't touch my hair
    After getting out. Three hours go by and I take the test... Im really
    Scared of not passing the test and wanted to get everyone's opinion on
    It. Please comment!!
    dgaine123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2013, 12:29 PM
    [QUOTE=DrBill100;3152652] Dr.bill please help me just real quick. Have a hair test in two weeks been clean for two monthes once the test comes. Smoked 3 times the first time and second time small amounts a few hits the third was about 6 it was all weak marijuana. Do you think I will pass very worried! I trust your opinion!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hair follicle drug test [ 2 Answers ]

I smoked a few hits last weekend and then a few more a couple weeks ago. I was clean for years before that. Because it was so recent am I screwed?

Hair Follicle Drug Test [ 4 Answers ]

One of my family members I guess has been smoking pot not directly in my daughters face, but she has I guess entered the room when he was smoking, one of his friends called DHS and they did a hair follicle test on her, will it show up if he has? How much exposure is needed for it to show up in her...

False Positive in Hair Follicle Test - THC [ 10 Answers ]

Where to start... I applied for a job and got a hair follicle test done. My hair is about 1.5 inches long. A week later I get a call from the employer telling me that results came back positive to marijuana. I do not do and have not done marijuana in over 12 years. Is it possible to get false...

View more questions Search