Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oopsiedaisy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 06:08 PM
    How do I tell my mother we are moving across country.
    That my husband and I want to move out of state? She is very dependent on us, mostly emotionally although we provide her and her husband with a little financial support each month. Neither of us are trying to get away from her... There are just several huge opportunities available for us in there, including an inherited home in a much better neighborhood that we own free and clear, a better job market, lower cost of living, reliable babysitters... The list goes on and on.

If it wasn't for her emotional health, my husband and I would have moved months ago. I just know she is going to break down when I tell her, though, and I don't know what to do! We are in our late twenties and she is in her late fifties, healthy, married, and happy... Until the topic of just leaving comes up.

Please give me your advice about what you'd do!
    kzinser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 06:40 PM
    My husband and I just moved away from home almost a year ago we are very young but he is in the military so it was expected. My mom believed that we would get stationed REALLY close to home and she had no doubts about that and she wouldn't let herself think otherwise so when I found out that we were moving 2000 miles away.. It took me awhile to find the courage and the heart to break the news to her. And, not to my surprise she took it horribly, she broke down, she cried, she was hysterical. But after a while, and after A LOT of talking, and explaining to her, she realized that it was what it was and that we grow up. My opinion is for you to brace yourself for an emotional roller coaster, and be prepared for a lot of crying and hysteria also brace your mom just tell her that you guys need a day to yourselves (your husband you and your mom)to sit at the house and just talk things over then when you get her there, tell her everything you put in your question on this website, tell her why you are wanting to move away and that it is in no way her fault you have to be very detailed about every thing! No matter how you break it to her, her heart is going to break, but she will heal and once she hears all of your reasoning, she will eventually cope with it and realize it is for the best.. Then after things calm down a little bit, introduce her to Skype A.K.A the lifesaver for mothers :) I hope this helps. Good luck and I hope everything goes okay for all of you :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 06:42 PM
    Sorry you are adults, and it appears grown, You have hubby over, perhaps bring them to your house for dinner and tell them.

I will say this, unless really pressing for time. I would wait till after Christmas, if not, it will remind of them this every year. Normally I don't say wait, but if you can wait till perhaps the 2nd week of Jan or something, perhaps not a bad thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father rights to unborn child who mother is moving away to another country [ 9 Answers ]

This is our dilema. Our 19 y/o son has a 20 y/o girlfriend who we just found out is 3 weeks pregnant. We also just found out she is going to move to Australia with her parents now in 3 months. What rights does my son ha=ve to this unborn child and the fact she is taking the unborn child to another...

Moving out of country [ 2 Answers ]

From usa going back to philippines can't afford to pay credits of $17,500 what is my penalty

Moving to another country [ 1 Answers ]

I'm considering moving to France. What steps do I need to take to do so legally? I'm not necessarily interested in gaining citizenship at this point, just living in France for a year or so.

Moving to a different Country. [ 4 Answers ]

Not sure where to put this, but I'm a teen and I could use advice from adults or people with experience. I'm trying to do a bit of research on this here and there so here goes. I always had this dream to go to Japan. I'm very serious and would take the opportunity. Since as far back in my...

View more questions Search