Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheezeycrackers Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Grapes of Wrath book report help
    So since I will be cutting my school week short by going away to see my sister get married, my deadline for my book report on the grapes of wrath is due tomorrow. But this is no ordinary book report, this is a very annoying/ confusing book report, because all it is, is a written part which is easy and then this:

Represent the protagonist OR antagonist of your novel metaphorically. You may do this in
    Any form you wish (visual, verbal, lyrical, kinaesthetic) but please attach a written
    Explanation as well. (10 marks for the thought and support, 5 marks for the writing skills)

How would you do this? It's so confusing! Can anybody give me their opinion/ example, I'm in crunch time and I could really use the extra help to understand what I'm supposed to do.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 04:16 PM
    How long have you been sitting on this assignment?

I have no idea what that assignment means. Your teacher didn't explain, or you didn't ask for clarification?

Dec 14, 2011, 04:24 PM
    Honestly a day, we were supposed to start it yesterday and then the next two days do it in class. I am not that much of a procrastinator. Honestly all this comes fast at this time in my school year.We read the book as a class, it's more or less meant to raise our class average I think!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 04:29 PM
    Well, Ma Joad = a Christ figure (selfless sacrifice); Jim Casy = social activist and unifier of men (Obama?); Rose of Sharon = Virgin Mother

Dec 14, 2011, 04:33 PM
    Oh okay, but I was more asking how I should represent it, what would be the easiest form, and how is something represented metaphorically?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheezeycrackers View Post
    oh okay, but i was more asking how i should represent it, what would be the easiest form, and how is something represented metaphorically?
    I just gave you the metaphorical representation of those characters by historical figures.

A simile would be Wondergirl is like Socrates (teacher) and you are like Plato (student).

A metaphor doesn't use "like" or "as." Wondergirl = Socrates, and you = Plato.

Dec 14, 2011, 04:44 PM
    So in less elequent terms for example Hilter is satan?

Which form would be easieet to represent it with visual verbal or lyrical
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 04:49 PM
    I'm not sure of the teacher's definitions of those terms and what is expected. Lyrical would have to do with music, I suspect. Visual could be a diorama or maybe a poster. Not sure what verbal is in this case. Spoken? A monologue? A short play?

Dec 14, 2011, 04:52 PM
    Hhaa sorry I just realized I wouldn't be their for verbal, so only visual and lyrical. And it would have to be an image, and yes it is song lyrics.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 04:53 PM
    Ma Joad (visual) --

The Pieta

Dec 14, 2011, 04:59 PM
    Thank you
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 05:01 PM
    Can you describe why she is like the Virgin Mother ("written explanation")?

Dec 14, 2011, 05:18 PM
    Well it has to be antagonist or protagonist
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 05:40 PM
    Isn't Rose of Sharon a protagonist ("good guy")?

Or this visual, this statue might be more appropriate for her --

Pregnant Virgin Mary

Dec 14, 2011, 05:54 PM
    No only Tom joad and I'm saying he's moses.I'm trying to talk to my teacher into allowing me to write an essay. How would I relate moses and tom joad metaphorically in a thesis statement? Like how would you write it?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 06:14 PM
    Tom Joad = Moses

Tom's years in prison molded him = Moses' years in Egypt molded him

Both had moral certainty, both headed west, both suffered hardship on their respective journeys, both grew from self-interest to concern for others and public action, Tom's family = Moses' much larger family called the Children of Israel

from 123helpme.com --

Tom also serves as a Moses-type leader of the people as they journey toward the Promised Land (California). Like Moses, Tom has killed a man and had been away for a time before rejoining his people and becoming their leader. Like Moses he has a
    younger brother (Aaron = Al) who serves as a medium for the leader. Shortly before reaching the destination, he hears and rejects the evil reports of those who have visited the land(Hebrew "spies"- Oklahomans going back).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Book report help [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find book reviews for "Amish Adventure" by Barbara smucker. I need to have a book report for Monday completed and I am a extremely slow reader if you can help me I be extremely happy. If anyone knows where to find chapter reviews or even the overview of what happened that...

Book report [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the mood or atmosphere of a book is?

Grapes of Wrath [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out the name of a song that is sung by the Grapes of Wrath. I saw the video for it quite awhile ago, couple years, and I really liked it. It has the guys sitting in a tree for most of the video and it's a slow song, ballad type. Anybody have any idea the name of the song,...

Grapes of Wrath [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out the name of a song that is sung by the Grapes of Wrath. I saw the video for it quite awhile ago, couple years, and I really liked it. It has the guys sitting in a tree for most of the video and it's a slow song, ballad type. Anybody have any idea the name of the song,...

View more questions Search