Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Personal accident claim
    I have had a personal accident claim which is being dealt with on a 100% payment of claim basis.

I have been made an offer via a solicitor recommended by a national helpline, and want to be assured that I am receiving as stated 100& of my claim. I have asked for evidence of this but have been informed that the negotiations with the insurance company have been verbal & not via any written communication, which I find hard to axcept given that the insurance company is aviva, who I do not believe would not issue a formal offer. Having researched other similar claims to mine I am not convinced that I am being offered the full amount. How can I check this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
    Aviva is gaining momentum in the US BUT you refer to a "solicitor."

Where are you, what country?

Someone who is recommended (and they pay for the advertising and/or share their fee) by a national helpline has to follow the same canons of ethics as every other Attorney. They can't settle you short - which means settle for less than your claim is worth. It's not unusual for "negotiations" leading up to a settlement to be all verbal. The company won't issue a formal offer until they know if they are offering approximately what your Attorney is asking.

Where are you researching similar claims? That info is not available in my State (NY) and no two claims are ever the same.

You settle for an amount that satisfies you. I might walk off with $100,000. You might not settle for less than $150,000. Some of it depends on how willing you are to go to trial and how quickly you want the matter settled.

There is no "list" of what a certain injury is "worth."

(I'm a liability investigator and deal with claims fairly often.)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2011, 06:37 PM
    Don't you have your own attorney handling this case for you? If the settlement amount is a large one I would definitely recommend you confer with an attorney of your choice to see if this offer is valid and is suitable for your case. Not knowing your particular claim information it would be impossible for us to determine if you are getting a fair shake or not. Only an attorney familiar with your type of claim would be able to tell you.
    LegalEagle1 Posts: 17, Reputation: -2

Dec 15, 2011, 11:41 PM
    Here is a list of different items that should be compensated if you have a personal injury claim.

Lawsuit Settlement Offers

You should know that these items will be different for each person. If they apply to you, make sure you review the amount of compensation for each item with your attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto accident claim [ 4 Answers ]

My wife, son and I were recently in a car accident. We were hit from behind, which caused minimal damage. The other drivers insurance has paid for the damage, which was the bumper. The insurance gave what I believe to be a crappy settlement offer. Both my wife and son went to the E.R. and released...

Claim for accident [ 2 Answers ]

We want to know if this will be a claim with ICBC. My husband was at the gas station and checked the oil. He unknowingly did not click the hood down. Shortly after getting on the highway the hood flew up, hit and broke the windshield and dinted the hood. Could we claim this accident with ICBC...

Check on accident claim [ 2 Answers ]

I was stopped at a red light and it turned green and the lady in front of me started going then just stopped suddenly,and I tapped the back of her car I had to flag her down to get over to exchange insuraance info but she only give me her name and was irrate and didn't want ti call police and...

Accident claim [ 21 Answers ]

After a claim is filed how long do I have to get treatment for injurys I mean one year two years. Does my attorney have to tell me if insurance company makes an offer do I get to decide

Accident - Claim [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All : I have been in an accident about a month ago. Please give me some advice on what I can do. I were already in the circle when a taxi drove into me. My car can't be repaired. What am I to do? Can I put in a claim in against the driver / owner of the taxi? Located - South Africa -...

View more questions Search