Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chocolatemom85 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 01:14 AM
    Speech problem in children
    My 2 year old little girl is having a hard time in talking. She understands what I'm saying but she is having a hard time with her speech. This is really worrying me, cause she has a 5 year old cousin that she loves to play with, and he does have a speech problem, and kids pick on him in school because of it. My daughter has been picking up her habit to talk from him, and I have gotten her check out and everything over 5 times and there is nothing wrong with her brain development wise, but her speech it still way off. The doctors have just started to put her in speech classes now after I have pushed the issue so much. My question: is there anything that I can do at home that would push her in to talking more?
    breeda Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Dec 14, 2011, 01:25 AM

When I was young I had difficulty speaking and saying words. It passed with the help of a special speech teacher who taught me first the vowel sounds. Having me repeat them after she made them. If you can't take the child to one do it yourself.
    I taught my younger brother 4 years younger to read , and I never realized I even did it until we were grown and he told me.
    It is important the child learn the vowel sounds. AEIOU this made all the difference in my speech. I later became the best reader and would record for the slower reading groups while in 3rd grade. Start speaking clearly to the child when you hear the wrong word
    Or trouble of speech, taking your time to help the child -showing the child how to sound out the word. It is what helped me.
    I'm now 52 and a State Approved Mentor. Getting the child help early is important, maybe going to the library they have classes for children who do not go to school. Best of luck.
    Oopsiedaisy Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 06:39 PM
    I, as a mother of six, would recommend that you not put too much pressure on your little one. As mothers, our job is to worry about our babies, but if her doctors say nothing is wrong, I'd take their opinion.. Its just like with baby talk, children mimic what they hear, and correct it as they get older. Just spend lots of time talking to her and exposing her to normal speech and she be just fine. :-)

Dec 15, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Please understand our Dr's do great, but also with that said they can be wrong as well, even this place is only advice not perfect answers. Just advice from caring people who take the time to help with an answer.
    Please I would like to add.
    Dr's can be wrong misunderstand, and busy people. I commend and say yes a Dr. is a good idea, make it fun in learning proper speech. Children made fun of me "THAT WILL HURT YOUR CHILD IN MANY WAYS", It can be made into a fun game for a child, it doesn't have to be pressured. There are now books which read to the children which pronounce words properly. I agree no pressure just a little issue made into a game. It can be fun, no pressured issue. If the child is picking up from the child that is saying words incorrect. You know your child and see what needs corrected go forward and do what your heart is telling you.
    There is great hope, all children could be taught at once. Not all children learn the same, they as us grown ups are all different. Even grown ups need speech help. START EARLY, therefore maybe they will not be bullied later in life and the issue corrected now. Good Luck to you and never ever give up. Remember Helen Keller? How wonderful someone helped her recall they thought she could never be helped. That movie is at your library you can rent things such as free things for the child for a week. They have things there that cost nothing to help the child at home. I never pressure, make it fun there is a big difference and you are someone who does love and care about your child, you wrote this shows there is a problem. Take Dr's answers as well as all on here and think about them all. There is truth to be found for those who seek and you shall find therefore your child has everything to gain. Best of luck. You have some good answers from people who do care.

Dec 15, 2011, 08:25 AM

Finally the Dr did heed your worries and has gotten you help. I re-read after I answered 2 times. See he knows you are concerned.

YOU have GOOD reason to be concerned. It is better to teach than not to teach if child is not taught what a shame. I complement you on asking and loving your child enough to seek help for that small love one. Yes Library will help and ask the person who is teaching the child now what you can do at home, I imagine they have some good answers. The 5 year old needs to be helped I pray that child is helped. No child should be left behind and just let go. You care and I am Thankful you do for your child's sake. Good Luck
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2011, 11:08 PM
    I hope they also checked her hearing. If so, and her hearing is okay, then I would mainly not stress it at this time. Read to her with her sitting in your lap. She can feel your breathing and speech patterns that way. Expose her to children who speak well in addition to her cousin. With the speech classes, the reading you do with her and the exposure to children who speak well she will improve in time. The danger in pushing her is that she will just shut down. There are far more important things to worry about. In my opinion, life's too short to worry about something there is no physical cause for and she will grow out of.

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speech of my children [ 4 Answers ]

Should I be worried about my three years old twins not talking yet?

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET

A speech to be given on fashion for speech and drama grade five [ 1 Answers ]

My child has a project on fashion to do for speech and drama for grade 5 she has to also give a talk about fashion for 3 minutes she is twelve years old please help we don't know where to start

WAPO: Free speech ain't free speech [ 23 Answers ]

I was always under the impression that free speech was free speech, now we have things like "hate speech," "free speech zones," the UN's "you can't offend Islam speech," and as I gave an example of today - "politically correct speech." The Washington Post claims a distinction between Political...

Ideas on speech with children [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 28 months old and he will not talk he understands everything I say to him and makes noises for the relivent animals and objects i.e train, cows, cats etc I've spoken to a health visitor and she said there's nothing to worry about he's got communication skills there. Can anyone suggest any...

View more questions Search