Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ANGIE4124 Posts: 67, Reputation: 23

Dec 13, 2011, 04:29 PM
    Venture bound USA - 2012 budget preparation
    Having travelled extensively across my own country - Australia in various formats and parts of Europe (1982), I am now venture bound for the USA in March - April 2012. And I have been marvelling at the differences with my discoveries in the American culture and customs, particularly with accommodation facilities (3 star), eating out, tipping and taxes.

Example - 3 star Hotel/Motel
    The standard minimum here is a Mini-fridge, Electric jug - coffee, tea, sugar sachets and milk. Crockery, Toaster and Microwave…Towels and personal shower packs, hairdryer, extra pillows, blankets, alarm clock and air-conditioning are ALL/at most provided within our accommodation. The only tax is a Goods and Services Tax - GST at 10 percent (which was introduced back in 2000). Plus there is no tipping.

In comparison to this and it is an observation only to which I need to budget and prepare for whilst we travel the USA. I have found that most of these facilities do not come as a regular feature. Plus the multiple taxes, fees, hire thereof and tipping thereafter are extraordinary to us. So am I safe to assume that eating out is the normal practise/custom, given that these rooms hardly contain any refrigeration and or cooking appliances?

As it shall be exhaustive, unhealthy and an expensive trip thinking we would have to eat out every single night, let alone breakfast and lunch. Although I am informed that eating out is cheap? But what is cheap? Would you be kind enough to give examples please in US Dollars?

Our itinerary being, Flight to Miami - Amtrak to New York - Coach Tour via Canada to Orlando.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 13, 2011, 10:05 PM
    Almost no place provides anything for food. A few will provide a fridge and microwave. Often these may be in less than three or four star places, The fancier the hotel, the more likely you will find things like whirlpool tubs, better views, sitting areas, computer docks and the such.

Depending on how long you plan on staying, there are places called "extended stay" which is normally for a week or more stay, that will have small stove, fridge with plates and the such.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Preparation of Cash Budget For THREE PERIODS [ 1 Answers ]

:(:(During the last week of August, Oneida Company’s owner approaches the bank for an $102,000 loan to be made on September 2 and repaid on November 30 with annual interest of 17%, for an interest cost of $4,335. The owner plans to increase the store’s inventory by $80,000 during September and...

4-11A. (Preparation of a cash budget) [ 1 Answers ]

Harrison Printing has projected its sales for the first eight months of 2004 as follows:January $100,000 April $300,000 July $200,000 February 120,000 May 275,000 August 180,000 March 150,000 June 200,000 Harrison collects 20 percent of its sales in the month of the sale, 50 percent in the month...

Prepare a Budgeted Income Statement, Cash Budget, Sales Budget/Cash Collections, Purc [ 1 Answers ]

The CEO of Kingston Cart Inc. asked the Chief Financial Officer to prepare a Master Budget for the next three months, beginning July 1, 2010. The company's policy is to maintain a minimum cash balance of $6,000 at each month end. Sales are forecasted at an average selling price of $70 per cart....

View more questions Search