Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pudding11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Did the pharmacist violate my rights giving out info on me other than what the
    I have been seeing a doctor for a while about my migrains,he cannot right narcotic pain meds,he can only prescribe back up pain meds,so I went to a nurse practishner that could wright me a narcodic med that helps,and I use the other when I have a headache that can be controlable,so the practishner wants me to have butron and my medicare pplan wounldnt pay for it so I went to this small town a couple mills out of town so she could give me credit and let me pay it out one step at a time,she also fills the none narcotic pain meds that the doc who can't wright narcotics,so the pharmacist out of town calls my doctors office that wrote the butrans and the intown pharmacy to get it tranfered,why she call3d my nurse practishner I don't know ,so today I got a certafied letter from my nurse practishner saying I'm dissmissed from the clinic,was my rights violated?was that even right?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 13, 2011, 11:22 AM
    If I understand you correctly, you went to a pharmacy to fill the scrip for Butrans and the pharamacist called the person who prescribed it, correct? It's confusing because you said the nurse practitioner prescribed Butran and yet you say the doctor "wrote the butrans," so it's not clear who the pharmacist called. But in any event there is no problem with a pharmacist calling your doctor or nurse practitioner to discuss the prescriptions and their possible interactions. So no - your rights were not violated.

Did the certified letter explain why you were "dismissed" from the clinic?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 13, 2011, 10:18 PM
    It appears you were doctor shopping, your first doctor would not prescribe something , so you went to someone else who would. Did your first doctor know about the second NP?

Did the NP know about the first doctor and the meds they gave?

But yes, the drug store may contact the writing doctor to verify, also if they see two conflecting prescriptions, they may investigate it for possible issues.
    Which is what I believe they found.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2011, 04:51 AM
    There has also been a problem lately with people trying to get pain meds. There was the situation on LI recently where a person killed 4 people robbing a pharmacy for pain meds. The investigation showed he had been getting scripts for thousands of pills. So pharmacies are being cracked down on and have to check scripts more carefully.

So it probably was not illegal for the pharmacists to check with the script writers and even discuss the scripts from other doctors.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 04:59 AM
    It is appropriate for a pharmacy to discuss your medications with your care provider as well as other pharmacies where you have your medications filled. So, no, your rights were not violated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2011, 06:57 AM
    - And I will add that it happens all the time.

And once the patient gets a reputation for "prescription/pill shopping" the Physician(s) USUALLY just stop writing the prescriptions.

I am aware of Pharmacies that have "do not fill" lists - patient comes in with a prescription, Pharmacy won't fill it because of past problem with same medication or various medications from various sources. No Pharmacy wants to lose its license over this type of thing.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2011, 06:43 PM
    You need to have someone get to the root of your migraines and what causes them and not just write you narcotics for them. I had severe migraines for years and after finding the right doctor and the right combo of meds other than the narcotic variety I was migraine free in less than 9 months.

You can get rebound migraines from using narcotics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did employer violate my privacy rights [ 3 Answers ]

I recently failed a drug test with my employer. After the company and myself were notified I was terminated. While talking with the company president of human resources I asked that this matter be kept confidential. The next day I received many calls and texts from former workmates. It was quite...

Did my supervisor Violate my HIPPA rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am a nurse at a healthcare facility and I sought the care of one of our social workers/counclers. My supervisor later questioned her as to the nature of my visit and why I was going over to speak with her on my breaks and lunches. She did not tell him but suggested that he was violating Hippa...

What are your rights if you violate probation? [ 2 Answers ]

If someone violated probation while a home search was being done and something was found and they were arrested, do they still have to read miranda rights to them? Can they look in someone's pocketbook at the home of someone else who they are checking on if you are both on probation but the person...

Did I violate this patients HIPAA rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I am the Supervisor of a POL. One of the employees of the X-Ray department asked me for a copy of her Mother's lab results. I refused, citing HIPAA regulations. The employee became very disruptive but I still refused to comply with her request. Because our facility has no clear protocol for...

Landlord is giving out tenant's personal info [ 2 Answers ]

I live upstairs from my landlord and lately her and I have been having disputes. I have now been receiving calls from friends and family of her's that she gave my number to even after I told her not to give out my phone number. Can I sue my landlord for harassment?

View more questions Search