Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sammie88 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2011, 09:00 PM
    Charged with Theft under, crossing border
    Just a Canadian with a quick question regarding crossing the border. I was accused of theft under 5000, except I haven't even made my first court appearance yet. Given that the American border guards are known to be very picky with those who have criminal records, am I going to be able to pass safely?

As I've said, I've been accused of the crime; I don't have a criminal record yet (hopefully I won't have it later on, too), and no formal court procedures have been made to prove me guilty yet.

I've already crossed once with my family, and I'm not sure if the guard did a random record check or not; all I know is I passed through safely on that particular occasion.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2011, 09:08 PM
    Merely being charged should not be an issue. Are you out on bail ? If so are their restrictions on travel ?

Dec 12, 2011, 09:47 PM
    No, I'm not on bail. When I was arrested the police merely gave me a document ordering me to appear for a fingerprinting and also to appear in court.

Being "on bail" means that one was detained in jail until someone paid to bail them out, right?

The reason why I'm so worried is because even though I don't have a criminal record, they DO have a record in the police files that I was accused of a crime. I'm concerned that US border patrol might be able to see that.

Jan 19, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Hello, just returning to update this thread a bit as I had said I would update my situation. After having appeared in court a week or so ago, I spoke to duty counsel at the courtroom who immediately recommended I apply for alternative measures (diversion).

I found it somewhat strange when I asked him, "What about the aggravating factor? I stole from my employer." when he instructed me on how to fill out the diversion application, but he simply told me not to highlight that fact, and to express my remorse. I did that to the best of my abilities.

When my case was called, I received my 'particulars' (a darn big package if you ask me) from the Crown; in exchange I gave her my diversion application. She said she had enough time to read it through that day, although the Judge (or Justice of the Peace?) present in the courtroom ordered me to return in about tw weeks' time.

I am a bit confused as to what my situation is right now, but I guess considerations are being made for diversion? I looked through my particulars and was somewhat distressed to find that the Crown did not name a potential sentence in the Initial Sentencing Position seeing as she wrote she was still seeking some kind of investigation report because the crime involved internal theft.

By the way, I have made restitution in full and mentioned it in my application. Back in court next Monday.

Jan 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
    Oops, I am sorry. Posted in the wrong thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crossing US Border, Theft under 5000 withdrawn charge [ 49 Answers ]

I got my charges withdrawn today for theft under 5000. Is this an absolute discharge? I am also travelling to Hawaii in 3 days, and I don't know if it will show in the CPIC. Will a withdrawn charge cause the US to stop me from entering the states? What are the chances that I will be held back...

Crossing the border [ 4 Answers ]

Can I cross the border into Canada and return to the US on my green card only? My passport expired in May 2009 and is in the process of renewing.

Border crossing into Canada [ 7 Answers ]

I have a misdemeanour and the alleged events happened in May 1995, but the Canadian authorities are equating this to a Canadian law that wasn't passed until 1997... is this legal? I ask because they are counting this misdemeanour as a "serious" criminal offense. Just doesn't seem fair to do that.

Crossing the candian border [ 1 Answers ]

OK my name is Matt... I am on probation for possession and distribution for 2 years. I live a little outside of Detroit, MI and I used to go to canada to gamble and drink. I know friends that have gotten across the border while on probation which I also no is illegal. My question is if I go...

Usa border crossing [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a metis I have a status card, my quistion is I tried cross the usa border and was refused enter,, they said I did'nt look indain and it might be a fake card,, I have documents going back 13 generations my mom birth card her statis card and my brothers to my mom and brothers are a photo copy of...

View more questions Search