Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheezeycrackers Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Dec 12, 2011, 04:37 PM
    What is word trace?
    I got an assignment due Wednesday and it's called a word trace. All I can gather from my English teacher, who talks very much LIKE AN ENGLISH TEACHER is that I'm supposed to track the progression of a word through out Othello.I've decided to track the word hell, because it's not as plentiful. Does anyone know what a word trace entails though.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2011, 04:46 PM
    According to a web site, this assignment is part of a CO high school English class:

What’s On for Today and Why

The students will discuss words that represent the "big ideas" in Othello and that recur throughout the play. They will be assigned words to track throughout the text, recording which character says the word and in what context.

Students will also look up the meanings of their assigned words using resources like the Oxford English Dictionary and The Early Modern English Dictionaries Database Website edited and maintained by Ian Lancashire at the University of Toronto. The EMEDD is a database of several dictionaries from Shakespeare's time.

A student who successfully completes this assignment will become aware of the role of diction and voice in character development. Additionally students will understand that a word's meaning may change through context and over time, and these changes and other associative meanings affect our interpretations and understandings of the text.

What To Do

1. Introduce this project as you begin reading Othello. You should discuss the idea that writers make choices in their diction (especially in poetry) to help develop their ideas. Discuss connotation and denotation.
    Cheezeycrackers Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Dec 12, 2011, 05:20 PM
    Thanks XD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Attached word document opens after 30 seconds if you have word open [ 0 Answers ]

We have a weird issue on our XenApp 6 test environment using Outlook 2007 to open Word attachments. The behaviour is such that if a Word instance is already open and maximised with a document and we try to open a Word attachment from an e-mail, the attachment doesn't open unless you un-maximise the...

Converting files from Microsoft Word to Word Perfect 11? [ 3 Answers ]

I use a laptop with Microsoft Word for traveling and my home PC has Word Perfect 11. I have since installed Word Perfect on my laptop. When I try to open a file on my laptop that I created with Word, it says file cannot be located. How can I integrate and have all files on both computers open with...

View more questions Search