Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patel1995 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2011, 12:10 PM
    A stone is dropped down a deep well. The time interval between the drop of the stone
    A stone is dropped down a deep well. The time interval between the drop of the stone and the
    Splash heard at the top of the well is 4.5 s. If the air in the well is a cool 4°C, but does not
    Cause significant friction with the stone, how deep is the well?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 12, 2011, 09:19 AM
    Consider this problem in two parts: the time it takes for the stone to drop to the water (call this t1) and the time it takes after that for the sound to reach the surface (t2). The distance the object drops in t1 seconds is:

You can rearrange this to get time t1 as a function of distance.

The time it takes for the sound to get to the surface is:

where = velocity of sound, which is probably provided in your text book.

You know the sum of t1 and t2 is 4.5s; solve for d. Post back with the answer you get and we'll check it for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What do I need to lay flag stone on a stove Hearth over cement board 1 in. Stone [ 1 Answers ]

I'am building a 20sq. ft. raised hearth for a woodstove. I put down 3/4 plywood. I'am going to put down cement board for fire code. What do I need to lay 1 in. flagstone over this./ mortor mix/ sand?

Stone [ 1 Answers ]

A stone of mass 2kg. Is thrown upwards.what will be it's potential energy at the height of 45 m from ground?:confused:

Stone look in a shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a customer that wants a stone cave look in her shower. Is there a cement mortar based material that can be troweled on the walls and a water resistant paint to achieve the grey color of stone. I am planning to use a detramat over cement board to help water proof. Any suggestions would be...

View more questions Search