Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulamaf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2004, 05:44 AM
    Ice formation
    Why does tap water freeze more rapidly than cold water?
    Malcolmgrad Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2004, 11:06 AM
    All I know is that tap water contains heavy metals that can only be separated by distiling it. I don't know distill tap water and try it then
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 11, 2004, 08:23 AM
    Eh, by "tap water" do you mean cold tap water, or hot tap water?
    And by "cold water", do you mean "tap water" or well-, river-, lake- or sea-water?
    Anyway, here it goes:
    It is common believe that hot water freezes more quick than cold water. This is not true. Hot water takes longer to freeze, because cooling it down takes additional time.
    What is true, is that water, that was first heated and left to cool down, will freeze more quick than fresh cold water because heating it will have chased the solved gases (mainly oxygen and carbondioxyde) out. The solved gases in fresh water are expelled by freezing too, but this produces heat that will delay freezing. This is however much less important than the time required to cool down hot water.
    paulamaf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2004, 09:36 AM
    Hot not tap
    I´m sorry! I meant hot water, not tap water (terrible mistake!! ). Anyway, thanks for both answers, I ended up having a "two in one" answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Formation of Great Lakes etc.. [ 5 Answers ]

What great geological event explains the formation of the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence River system, the Columbia-Snake River system, and Great Salt Lake.. and How did this same geological event isolate the human population of the Americas from that of Asia?? ((if someone could help me out with...

In formation regarding Portuguese passport [ 1 Answers ]

HI, My name is rachit. My roots are basically from goa in India. Well I needed help regarding getting a portuguese passport. Both my parents had portuguese passports when they were children. My father's mother surrendered the portuguese passport when he was about 5 years and similarly my mother's...

Formation of the Great Lakes [ 3 Answers ]

What great geological event explains the formation of the Great Lakes?:confused:

View more questions Search