Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2011, 08:23 AM
    Red shirt
    Hello:

I'm a sports guy... But, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't have any idea what red shirting is or does... I suppose if I'm going to call myself a sports guy, I SHOULD know that, huh?

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

I'm a sports guy... But, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't have any idea what red shirting is or does... I suppose if I'm gonna call myself a sports guy, I SHOULD know that, huh?

excon
    Redshirting is a term used in college sports to delay a suspension of an athlete so he/she can fulfill their academic responsibilities.
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2011, 09:02 AM
    Hello t:

Thanks..

So, it's a way for somebody who gets a sports scholarship to stay in school, EVEN though he's not participating in sports?? That don't sound good.

excon
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello t:

Thanks..

So, it's a way for somebody who gets a sports scholarship to stay in school, EVEN though he's not participating in sports??? That don't sound good.

excon
    No, it releaves him of being suspended from a game therefore jeopardizing his scholarship and getting to fifth year and graduating; I guess bending the rules bit.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 12:54 PM
    Not really sure ex however I think in the pros it also means in practice the quarterback or a slightly injured player is 'red shirted' to avoid him being hit.

Stringer
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 01:14 PM
    From Wikipedia:

"Redshirt is a term used in American college athletics that refers to a delay or suspension of an athlete's participation in order to lengthen his or her period of eligibility. Typically, a student's athletic eligibility in a given sport is four seasons, a number derived from the four years of academic classes that are normally required to obtain a bachelor's degree at an American college or university. However, a student athlete may be offered the opportunity to redshirt for up to two years, which allows the athlete to spread those four years of eligibility over five, or sometimes six years. In a redshirt year, a student athlete may attend classes at the college or university, practice with an athletic team, and dress for play but he or she may not compete during the game. Using this mechanism, a student athlete has up to five academic years to use the four years of eligibility, thus becoming a fifth-year senior."
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
    Hello Lisa:

Thanks. Now I know.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you think of this shirt [ 6 Answers ]

Hey I painted this T and was wondering what you guys thought of it as a shirt and/or as a painting. Thanks.

Movie about hitchhiker(?) with striped shirt and red hair(?) [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, all I know is I BELIEVE this movie is about a hitchhiker. He stalks a couple... anyway, the most memorable scene is at some... roadside... I don't know, diner or something. I believe the guy has a striped green or red shirt, and I believe he has a red beard and hair. That's all I...

Is it OK to wear a black shirt, red tie and on top of that a red v neck jumper? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, just wanted to know if this was a good outfit for valentines day clubbing Im not sure about the 'rules' regarding coloured v necks and ties etc etc... help me fashion geeks! Thank You

How much will I get for this shirt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a santos shirt(team pele played for) he signed his autograph on it.how much is it worth?

The best way to fold a shirt ! [ 7 Answers ]

Check this video. Very cool, very useful :p ;) http://ahafun.net/index.php?action=showpic&pic=41 Do you know any other way ? Let me know, thanks !

View more questions Search