Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickVeguilla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Banging Pipes (70yr.old Oil Furnace)
    Hi!

I live in a 70yr.old house that has it's original heating unit. A black and white furnace which by burning oil heats the water for heating of the house. I have the original unit and radiators. I have changed the valves BUT, whenever the heat goes on to heat the water certain radiator pipes bang. It's often loud and at 4:00AM in the morning!

Is there anything I can do to relieve the pressure or muffle the sound or stop the racket or is it a matter of character and I would have to UPGRADE? It's working fine right now! Just noisy!!!

Help.......huh? (Bang!) (Bang!)...Rick...?:confused: :confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 10:52 PM
    You better find a wet head (that is what I call them) to look at your problem. Most of the men (dead men) designed your system. If it worked OK at one time it will work again but the average HVAC tech probably will not know what is wrong or how to fix it.

I mentioned dead men because most of the guys are old or dead that installed those type of systems. If you got some extra$$$ you might consider replacing the system. You are probably now at 50% efficiency and the new best boilers are 95%. You will save big $$ on fuel cost if you upgrade.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging Bathroom Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, we have just bought our first house and recently had the bathroom refitted. After having a bath/shower or letting water out from sink the pipes start to bang after the water has drained away, possibly only lasts a few minutes but is really annoying. As the bathroom is situated above the...

Heating pipes banging [ 1 Answers ]

My hot water baseboard heating pipes bang whencirculation stops

Banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

In just one bathroom when the water is turned on the pipes bang when the water is running or when the toilet is flush

Banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I have read a lot about people with pipes that bang when they first turn them on, but I have a bit of a different problem. When I turn on either the cold or hot in the kitchen, there is no pressure at all. The water will come out in a small stream or not at all. I then will turn on and off the...

Banging pipes [ 9 Answers ]

Whenever I use a water service (tap/shower/toilet/etc) in my house, the pipes rattle and make banging sounds. Can someone explain why this is happening and how it can be corrected? Thanks!

View more questions Search