Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Samanon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 06:13 AM
    Bedbug Damage
    A friend lived in an apartment for 14 months. The apartment was a room in someone's residence, and it was one of four rooms. There was no printed/signed lease, only a verbal agreement. Over the course of the stay, it became apparent that bedbugs had been a problem before he moved in, and persisted till he moved out. The landlord lives in the house too, so it was to his credit that he tried to remediate this problem three times during my friend's stay, and paid for the treatments. My friend brought no furniture into the apartment. The landlord actually replaced the bed prior to him moving in.

However, during that time, there was significant damage to my friends possessions due to the infestation. Bedbugs were found in storage containers under the bed and their contents were destroyed. Also, part of the Landlord's remediation process included discarding infested property.

I understand that the landlord is responsible for remediation, and though ineffective, he did make the effort. But who is responsible for the damage to personal possessions?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 10, 2011, 07:27 AM
    This is a Small Claims court case. A lot will depend on the resistance of the landlord, who will have some leverage since there was no written agreement or lease. Some will depend on your friend's proof of the value of the items lost, how long it's been, and why they were lost, and so on. Small Claims cases are quick and sometimes arbitrarily decided by the judge. The judge might wonder why he didn't move out after the first treatment didn't work, or even as soon as the bugs were evident to him.

Your friend might want to start by sending a bill to the landlord who could possibly see if his HO insurance covers it, and take it from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is landlord responsible for treating bedbug infestation [ 3 Answers ]

The enants are experiening a severe infestation of bed bugs ` Is the landlord responsible for extermination costs and also for housing the tenants if need be during extermination.

Is landlord responsible for bedbug infestation in California? [ 1 Answers ]

Is the landlord responsible for bedbug infestation in California?

Damage [ 3 Answers ]

My house got raided last week due to my partner being @ my address now & again, Nothing was found but the police really damaged my wall, like a huge gap all the way down th door, Can the police pay for this or is it down to me

Window Damage [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Rome, NY... renting a house. My neighbour across the street has a lawn company that my have broke our l/r window (was home at the time, didn't witness... no other possibility)... since there's no proof... who's responsible for replacing the window... me or the landlord. My Renter's...

View more questions Search