Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Dec 9, 2011, 11:17 PM
    UPS Package Stolen
    Not only was the package stolen, but the empty package was left torn open on the second floor of my apartment complex. I have no idea who did it, the package was laying out for noon till eight at night when I got home. Of course, the company that sent it will be reimbursing me. Should I file a police report? I don't feel comfortable at all anymore. It's so frustrating that I'm basically helpless.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2011, 05:08 PM
    What do you expect when a package is not taken in right away. UPS knocked on your door but since you were not home they just left the package. If the shipper is willing to reimburse you you are not out anything. Next time you should have your package sent to where you work and tell the receptionist or shipping department you are expecting a UPS package.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2011, 05:21 PM
    Yes, I will agree I would be surprised at packages left in front of you door, to even be found at all, but this just happens all the time. Unless there are cameras in your hall or apartment complex, filing a police report will do nothing, they will write a report, that is it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2011, 05:31 PM
    I think you should file a report. First the shipper might require it for their records. Second, the police will know if there is a pattern to such thefts. The police will do nothing but file the report at this point, but it should be on record.

As for the future, you have a few options. You can require all future deliveries be signed for or taken back to the local office for pickup. You can designate a neighbor to sign. Or you can have them shipped to your place of business.

I have all my deliveries shipped to the office. But some places of business may not allow it, so you should check first.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Dec 13, 2011, 10:28 AM
    Obviously I realize that it's not a good idea to leave a package out in the hallway for eight hours. I usually have items shipped to the store or call ups so that I can pick it up later. I work at a department store, so there is no office to send it to. With my busy schedule, I didn't have time to constantly check the package and considering the merchandise contained more than a hundred dollars worth of Christmas presents, I assumed that it would require a signature. If I really thought that the police would do an investigation, I would have mentioned it in my question, if you look above I said that they would file a report.

I thought that this site was to gain advice, but apparently it's to berate.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 13, 2011, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerchick_682 View Post
    I thought that this site was to gain advice, but apparently it's to berate.
    Excuse me? While I admit that some of your answers were less than polite, you did receive good advice.

Part of the problem here is that there is really nothing you can do about the package in question. So the advice you are going to get involves what to do in the future. And that may sound like criticism even if its not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman split $10K, Crane package $8K, Carrier package @ $12K [ 0 Answers ]

Which system is best if the installation is outside my condominium but under cover, so not subject to direct rain or snow; however here in Cincinnati it gets cold in winter and hot in summer. I have heard rumors that Goodman is very questionable and Carrier is very good.

UPS package delivered to old apartament, landlord plans on keeping it [ 5 Answers ]

For some reason one of my eBay purchases got shipped to my old address, I have bought tons of stuff since we moved and everything has made it here fine. Anyway I have a prood of delivery form from UPS saying the package was received by a woman at the address. I went to his home (it's a 2 family...

Option: Relocation Package or Bonus Package - What is Better? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been offered a lump sum relocation package or it can also be a lump sum bonus package. I live in FL and will by moving to NYC. What would be the best offer to take with the least in taxes?

Push ups and Chin Ups [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I have been training for about 2 months now on my push ups mainly involving a lot of girlie push ups (on knees) and weight training. I originally started not being able to do any, AND I still can't 2 months down the track. My friend however progressed quite quickly and got there no...

View more questions Search