Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigS Posts: 80, Reputation: 6

Feb 10, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Medical procedure to remove huge fibroids without a hysterectomy
    My friend has heavy periods, using two tampons and a overnight pad every two and a half hours. She has a transparent to pink discharge also (between periods). After visiting several doctors and told it was an infection, but no medication worked. The third year the pink discharge now gushes out and she wears a heavy pad every day. I found a doctor for her only to find out that she has fibroids and they are so huge that the doctor told her she will have to have a hysterectomy. My friend is 40 and has no children but wants at least one. Is there an operation that can remove the cysts without taking all those organs out. She also said that she could never have a relationship if she has a hysterectomy because men can tell the difference. Do you know of any procedure that can suck the fibroids out without disturbing anything else?:( :confused:
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Feb 10, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Please tell your friend to discuss your concerns with your Physicians. The exact method of removal depends on whether or not women wants to have a baby.

Surgery to remove of the fibroids is called a myomectomy. Myomectomy usually preserves the ability to have children and avoids the psychologic effects of removing the uterus.

However, fibroids regrow in up to 50% of women. Furthermore, fibroids that cause no symptoms before pregnancy may cause problems during pregnancy.

Problems include miscarriage, early (preterm) labor, abnormal positioning (presentation) of the baby before delivery, and excessive blood loss after delivery (postpartum hemorrhage).

Furthermore, there can also be a large fibroid(s) that grow in the wall or under the lining of the uterus and can distort the shape or interior of the uterus. Fibroids can grow large enough to inhabit the uterus from getting enough blood: as a result, they begin to degenerate.

So the chance for your friend of a successful pregnancy looks slim, with this information. Her Physician, however, can give a more specific explainations as to why he/she recommend a hysterectomy.

Hope this answers your question!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cures for fibroids [ 6 Answers ]

I have two fibroids. What natural medicines can I take to get rid of them?

Huge medical debt [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. I Recently Had Surgery (gallblatter Removed) My Insurance Did Not Cover My Hospital Bill Nor Will It Cover The Doctors Bills. My Credit Is Bad . I Am Divorced , Child Support Is $1000.00 Monthly I Only Earn $2300.00. The Bill Is Apprx. $67000.00. All I Can Pay A Month Is...

18 months post hysterectomy still bleeding [ 2 Answers ]

I am in need of some help desperately. I have a GYTN appointment on November 6th. I had my hysterectomy 1-31-05. Kept ovaries. In about 4 months after I began noticing bleeding with intercourse with my husband. Sometimes I would need to wear a pad. Also the intercourse was at times painful. ...

View more questions Search