Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2011, 04:34 PM
    So you weren't let go with no notice?

Now that we've discussed back and forth and pro and con whether the unsigned contract could be enforced as a binding contract concerning giving you notice - you WERE given notice?

You were out of town when you got the letter? Who maintained your business while you were gone?

Were there problems when you were gone?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2011, 05:15 PM
    Ok, so there was no problem retrieving your equipment? When did you return from holiday and receive this message? Have you made an attempt to contact them as suggested? Who did this e-mail come from (president, CEO, owner) who?

Not that any of this matters to your situation. You have done all that you can do to this point. If you wanted to, you might be able to go to court to recover your fees to 12/24, the one month notice. But that would be counter productive. So I would take the advice you have been given. I would talk with whoever sent that e-mail as you were invited to, then follow up in a few months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 05:20 PM
    Best advice after all of this. Be sure someone is in charge of your business when you are gone. Next don't burn your bridges, instead of trying to figure out how to sue them, figure out why you lost the account. Perhaps they did not care you were doing a better job and wanted a cheaper job.

Also if just cheaper they may in a month or two not like the quality of the work and you can re-sale your service if you don't burn any bridges.

A lost customer was also a great lead to resale for me, when I was in sales.
    micdep Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2011, 07:35 PM
    Well...
    At first, they know that I was going away, so if they have any problem they had time to mention it. I am always open to new ideas... sorry, not 1/2 price, this is impossible, I did calculation and even with minimum wage still a big problem.
    At second, there is always someone to answer the call.
    At third, the person who send email is an assistant general manager (the general manager is always out).
    At forth, from my experience: "You can never step into same river twice!".
    At fifth, I do not blame them to fire me... but I blame them the way they did it...
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by micdep View Post
    Well ...
    At first, they know that I was going away, so if they have any problem they had time to mention it. I am always open to new ideas .... sorry, not 1/2 price, this is impossible, I did calculation and even with minimum wage still a big problem.
    At third, the person who send email is an assistant general manager (the general manager is always out).
    At fifth, I do not blame them to fire me ... but I blame them the way they did it ....
    My agreement is for having a responsible person in charge when you are not available that understands your business and has the power solve problems.

Unless it was price based the decision to release you should have had some warning/s; complaints, attitudes, requests unfulfilled, etc.

However, I disagree that you cannot go back ('At four - same river twice'). If you kept the lines of communication open and had quick response times when called upon and were progressive and did not become stagnant in your responsibilities you should have the opportunity to again do business with them.

Your comment about how they were family is good, friendship and business can coexist. But that relationship has to be worked on and never taken for granted. Too often I have won contracts and was told that they really liked the people in the other company but they were not responsive and things began to 'slip.' Relationship in business is very important but in reality is contingent on performance.

Stringer
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 11, 2011, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by micdep View Post
    Well ...
    At first, they know that I was going away, so if they have any problem they had time to mention it. I am always open to new ideas .... sorry, not 1/2 price, this is impossible, I did calculation and even with minimum wage still a big problem.
    At fifth, I do not blame them to fire me ... but I blame them the way they did it ....
    Eric,
    I'm not clear what you want here. Was this handled poorly? Yes! Were you entitled to one month's notice? Yes! Should this person have contacted you before you left and explained, in person, their decision? Again Yes! Do we empathize with you? Yes!

But this is all water under the bridge now. You have your equipment. It would not be worth your time to go after the extra month you are entitled to. So what more do you want?

I agree with Stringer. Yes, in some cases, you can't go back, but that isn't always true. If you feel you can't do a good job for what this other company is charging, then maybe they can't either. This company may learn that you should usually throw out the lowest bid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is an unsigned contract legally binding in canada? [ 2 Answers ]

I sent an e-mail to a real estate firm saying that I wanted to make a bid on a property, I then received the documents. They worried me because they say that he is not helping us in any way and on schedule A there are a bunch of other things that concern me like if any money is owed out on this...

Unsigned Lease - is it a contract? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am a swedish woman who moved to California, to an apartment, which I am charing with two other persons. The woman that leases the room for me had written a long lease before I moved here where it is written that I must stay until end may. Also it is written that I should warn here 3...

How to write a business contract for new business. [ 1 Answers ]

I have decided to work from home. But I am not sure of the correct way to get new clients for my administative support services.Where do I begin?

Royal Bank of Canada - Contract? [ 7 Answers ]

Visit my website CorporateBully.ca - $100,000 - MISTAKE (FISHERMEN'S LOAN) Your opinion on this contract. Was this contract missing certain information concerning monthly payment date and amount of monthy payment.:mad:

View more questions Search