Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swtprettyblues2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Pregnant after IUD
    My husband and I are wanting to have another baby, but I have an iud in. It is the type where I do not have my menstrual cycle. My question is will I have a period when I have the iud taking out or can I get pregnant right after it is removed.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Chances are your body will return back to normal after a couple of months. I don't know that you will get pregnant right after it is removed since it takes many woman months of "practice" before conceiving, but it is possible.
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Feb 10, 2007, 03:34 PM
    You should constult with your doctor regarding this question. There are two kind of IUD's: hormonal and non-hormonal and which one you have I don't know.

However, for a general concideration, many of the IUD's are hormonal based. This means that their methodology is similar to the birth control pill; only difference is they do not are not taken by mouth.

When hormone are provided to your body, via the IUD, the increase in hormonal level helps your cervical mucus thicken, thereby creating a natural barrier to sperm. The hormones also help to alter the uterine lining in order to inhibit implantation of a fertilized egg.

You may want to let your body readjust to being without the device, before you become pregnant. Within this time, you may also have some side effect from the discontinuation of the device.

Nevertheless, your period should return fairly soon after the IUD is removed. IUD users may have longer periods due to the IUD irritating the uterine wall, too.

Because ovulation still occurs when you use an IUD, ANY TIME the device is removed, IUD has been expelled, or not inserted properly you are likely to become pregnant. You should ask your Doctor when is the best to try and become pregnant.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. Birth Control Information: IUD
    shipra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Hey I missed my period just after IUD removal, you are expirance holder, can you hepl me, if I'm pregenet ,is it safe for me and my coming kid?
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Feb 27, 2007, 05:14 AM
    It would be best to discuss this with your doctor as he will have access to your medical records and will know exactly what type of IUD you have, obviously at the end of the day, it will depend on how fertile you and your partner are. Good luck.
    liltrueone85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Chances are your body will return back to normal after a couple of months. I don't know that you will get pregnant right after it is removed since it takes many woman months of "practice" before conceiving, but it is possible.

Actually I just got my iud taken out October 23rd 07', ihad the merina iud... and 2 days later I got my normal ( pretty much normal) period for about 4 days and that's usual for me. And when she took it out, she told me "shell see me next month".. and I looked at her and she gave me a look.. and I asked her how fast can I get pregnant, and she repeated herself... "i'll see you next month". It is now November 28th.. I am 6 days late now.. and I took a few tests and they were negative, but then 2 are very very faint positives... but I know I am pregnant... I mean it may be too early for some tests to pick it up, but my bb's are starting to hurt, I have to pee all the time REALLY BAD! I'm fatigued all the time now! I just know.. I'll update you.. but I gaurante you. Oh and the other girl that comented saying it takes a while for women to get pregnant after iud,, its usually the copper iud or an iud that has quit a bit of hormone in it... that you won't get pregnant right away... I had the merina iud and it had VERY LOW hormone in it. So don't think you can't get pregnant,, yes everyone's different... but just check on it! Good luck! :)~ God bless!
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Nov 28, 2007, 11:24 AM
    My dr told me that I had to check every month after my period for the strings connected to the iud. You can get pregnant right after it is taken out... Even with the low dose of progesterone with the hormonal iud's it is possible to get pregnant the very same day... I was told this by my ob/gyn when he put in my iud.
    cricket78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 12:39 PM
    Ihavent had a cycle yet.. Post removal November 9.. Positive surge though 10 days ago... Breasts are sooo sore. Went to the doctor yesterday. Neg Urine but she thinks I am PG. Wants to see me in 2 weeks. Didn't want to do blood work until then and told me to hold off urine tests for 2 more weeks just so we are sure. I am so tired... headace and my breasts are so tender a brush stroke hurts. I had mirena for 6 yrs with no periods. Has anyone gotten PG post removal with no period??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant after IUD removal [ 14 Answers ]

I used a copper IUD for five years after my second son. I had my IUD removed about 2/3 months ago. Had unprotected sex, just using the withdrawal method with no ejaculations. Since the removal of my IUD I became a bit late with my period, late 2-5 days. Now I'm 15 days late with no pregnancy...

No period after iud removal [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to the site. Last year my boyfriend and I decided to try to conceive this year. I had my IUD removed on 23 January (my last period was 25 December) and I still haven't had my period. We had unprotected sex two days after the removal and again a week later, and still no sign of my...

What is it-IUD [ 2 Answers ]

What exactly is an iud and how does it work and where do you put it?

I have an IUD in could I have had implantation bleeding? [ 1 Answers ]

I'll first start with my story I'm a 23 year old mother to a 6 year old and a 1 year old so having another baby isent something we planned. I have an IUD in place and for a couple of weeks it has seemed like the string is getting longer so I don't know if its coming out or not. I had my normal...

IUD Inserted and pregnant.. What are the risks [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:I had a IUD inserted and later found out that I was 5 weeks pregnant, they removed it 3 days after it was put in. I am now 9 weeks and have some concerns about late term miscarage and birth defects. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so what was the out come? My dr. told me that...

View more questions Search