Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    my08sammy Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 05:09 PM
    Soy sauce affects ETG testing?
    According to some online posts,
    Consuming soy sauce or salsa might cause the positive E T G result.
    How true is this?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 7, 2011, 05:21 PM
    What on line posts ? I doubt from here if that is what you are stating.

Please give us links where you found this information.

There is a certain amount of fermentation process in soy sauce, but not enough to effect a test. As for salsa, no fermentation takes place.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by my08sammy View Post
    According to some online posts,
    Consuming soy sauce or salsa might cause the positive E T G result.
    How true is this?
    Soy sauce certainly can create EtG, along with thousands of other products. Following is website for Dr. Greg Skipper, he sets up these testing programs, please read the section on Incidental Exposure to Ethanol wherein soy sauce is specifically mentioned.

Ethylglucuronide/Ethyl Sulfate See also link following.

Likewise, certain types of salsa have been reported to cause positive EtG. Following is a link to Ultimate Nurse listing salsa, soy and even foods from specific restaurants. (EtG testing is widely used in medical diversion programs, nurses & doctors).

Products that cause positive EtG
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 7, 2011, 06:03 PM
    Read your links dr. bill but can you point out specifically in any one of them that absolutely proves that soy sauce and salsa can create a positive test. Links are fine when they are specifically based but your links are not, at least any that I can find.

Dec 8, 2011, 01:23 PM
    It is very tough not to eat those food in the list.
    ETG test with 500ng cutoff tries to eliminate most false positive ETG result.

Now the question is how much soy sauce is OK, 1 tablespoon?? to be consumed when the ETG cutoff is at 500ng for a male weighing 200lb.
    I am not looking for a definite answer, instead trying to find out whether I can even consume any amount of soy sauce without affecting ETG test.

Thanks.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by my08sammy View Post
    It is very tough not to eat those food in the list.
    ETG test with 500ng cutoff tries to eliminate most false positive ETG result.

Now the question is how much soy sauce is ok, 1 tablespoon??, to be consumed when the ETG cutoff is at 500ng for a male weighing 200lb.
    I am not looking for a definite answer, instead trying to find out whether i can even consume any amount of soy sauce without affecting ETG test.

Thanks.
    The solution lies more in time than amount. Musshoff, etal provides some information specifically in relation to food stuff that should be helpful to you.

In general, the EtG generated by foods containing small amounts of ethanol, direct or by fermentation, can bring EtG within the window of detection for a short period, usually less than 12 hrs.

EtG is created in proportion to the amount of ethanol in your system. A direct Phase II metabolite of ethanol and is not cumulative. So the small amount of EtG created via ingestion of soy sauce should be eliminated within hours of consumption. The German program (Musshoff, above) recommends allowance of 24 hours for those products surveyed. The 500 ng cutoff is an additional layer of safety although not failsafe.

But please review the above study and if you have further questions please feel free to ask.

Dec 10, 2011, 07:06 PM
    Thank you very much DrBill.
    That was an excellent article.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ETG Testing [ 10 Answers ]

I drank Saturday night until around 12:30 a.m. I may have an ETG test Wednesday morning at 7:00 a.m. I am 5'0 tall/130 pounds. I drank 3 22 ounce beers and 5 wine coolers. What are my odds of passing an ETG? I am an active individual.

EtG testing [ 14 Answers ]

HI DrBill100, I drank on 7/2 and will possibly have an EtG urine test on 7/12. Any chance of me failing after almost 10 days of no drinking? Thank you in advance!

ETG testing [ 2 Answers ]

I recently drank heavily on Thursday and Friday. I did not drink on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and I had to take my ETG test on Wednesday at around 4:30 in the afternoon. Now will it show up as positive or do I have nothing to worry about. I have been taking my cranberry extract pills...

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

View more questions Search