Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grambo2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 12:08 PM
    LOA from Work
    In Texas when you are on a Medical Leave can your employer fire you or do they have to wait until you return to work from your leave?
    osiris1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Dec 19, 2011, 03:23 PM
    Assuming you are on a leave of absence under the Family Medical Leave Act, the employer can terminate your employment if they would have done so were you not on leave. For example, if you are a Tech and the employer has decided to eliminate all positions in the Tech classification, they can do so even though you are on FMLA leave. This applies to all federal and state leave laws. However an employer cannot terminate you in retaliation for you taking leave.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 06:53 PM
    Agree, what was the reason for the termination.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can your employer terminate you before you return from LOA? [ 4 Answers ]

My employer called me into work under the pretense "to talk" when I was on LOA before my release date from the doctor. My employer then proceeded to terminate my employment for job performance, however, refused to prvide any specific details. Can they legally even speak to me before my return to...

Can an employer grill you for details on your medical condition when you are on LOA? [ 2 Answers ]

I was on LOA and stopped into the office to drop off paperwork. Each time I was continuously harassed about my condition. (IE, dr appts, medicines, other forms of treatments, when was I returning to work) Is this not a violation of my HIPAA rights?

Backdate termination while on loa [ 5 Answers ]

I was a probationary employee for 6 months. I broke both arms and was placed on LOA. My employer called and told me I had been terminated under the probationary period on April 30 09. My actual 6 months was on 4/16/09. I've received no cobra or correspondence from the employer until 5/7/09...

Computation of loa limit [ 1 Answers ]

How can I compute the electrical load of a building intended for office space with some industrial machine in use

View more questions Search