Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Mechanical light switches
    Most every switch in my home and at work are fully silent. I have run into a batch of 25 year old switches that are strictly mechanical. Is it common to be able to hear a slight crackle when operating these swicthes? The owner of the home tells me his family room lights when out but came back on by themselves. Breaker appears good so I checked the switches and that's when I noticed a crackle when operating the switches slowly. Is that normal? Thanks, Bob
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2011, 11:51 AM
    With a 25 yr old switch, even a new one, tarnish has possibly built up on the contacts and they are not allowing current to flow through smoothly. Unlees there is some reason to use them, regular SP switches are .50 at HD and Lowe's.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 7, 2011, 02:27 PM
    Bob,
    Suggest that you check to see if the "Quick Connect" holes in the back of the switches and outlets have been used as the cause of the intermittent light failure. Not unusual to hear the arcing that occurs when a switch is opened or closed, if you listen closely.

The "Quick Connect" holes are notorious for bad connections after a period.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2011, 02:57 PM
    Toggle switches all have springs to open the contacts fast to eliminate the arcing.

The springs in older switches will wear out and allow the contacts to open slow. In a home, the power is low enough usually not to be a hazard, just after a while the contact do burn and add to the air gap, and usually fail without any great damage other than the switch.

Back in the old days, esp in industrial plants, there were what is call Isolation Switches, those open blade switches, same as seen in Frankenstein movies. These switches, per Code:

404.13 Knife Switches.
    (A) Isolating Switches. Knife switches rated at over 1200 amperes at 250 volts or less, and at over 600 amperes at 251 to 600 volts, shall be used only as isolating switches and shall not be opened under load.

Had signs warning Do not Open Under Load. What you see in the movies with the arcing is because a human cannot open the switch fast enough to prevent the arcing.

The arcing is due to the electricity is conducting through the air, moist air the better, and ionizing the air to continue the flow as much as possible, until the gap is great enough.

Here is a video of a slow moving switch and the result of high power and/or load to illustrate what is happening inside the switch at home, at much lower energy level.

tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2011, 02:58 PM
    And this is an excellent reason also;

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Bob,
    Suggest that you check to see if the "Quick Connect" holes in the back of the switches and outlets have been used as the cause of the intermittent light failure. Not unusual to hear the arcing that occurs when a switch is opened or closed, if you listen closely.

The "Quick Connect" holes are notorious for bad connections after a period of time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring light switches to share a light [ 3 Answers ]

The best way to explain my question is with a made up lighting situation. Suppose I have light fixture A, B, C, and D I want Light Switch 1 to turn on Light Fixture A and B I want light switch 2 to Turn on Light Fixture B, C, and D. Is there anyway to to wire lights up this way. Every...

Insi of mechanical engineer(india) oreng ime is equvelnt to B Tech mechanical [ 0 Answers ]

Insi of mechanical engineer(india) ime is equvelnt to Regular B Tech mechanical engineering? After ime we can take addmision in M Tech in regular? Its very hard to clear all subject?

1 light 3 different switches [ 2 Answers ]

How do I control one light with three different (DPDT) switches? And without the use of four way switches?

One light, 3 switches [ 1 Answers ]

I am having differculity with my college course, I need to wire one Lamp with three swithces using single cables. Anyone got any wiring diagrams I could follow please?

View more questions Search