Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 7, 2011, 09:57 AM
    Why do people fall for "naming a star?"
    It's that time of year again - I am being bombarded by ads over the internet and radio to "name a star after someone." These guys claim that you can choose the name for a star, but of course this carries no official bearing at all - only the International Astronomical Union actually determines the official names for celestial objects.

So I suggest that if you feel inclined to send these guys $50 to have a star named after someone, stop - instead you should send me $40 and I'll be glad to name a country after your loved one instead! Isn't it more impressive to have a country named for your loved one instead of a star that you can never see? Is $40 too much? OK, then for only $30 I'll name a town or a state instead. And I'll throw in a map that shows where your town, state, or country is located, suitable for framing. Any takers? ;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2011, 10:26 AM
    Adblock Plus — for annoyance-free web surfing

That is all.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
    Why?. can't think of a better reason than vanity. Assuming you discount stupidity right off the start.
    OneDude79 Posts: 80, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 02:45 PM
    Not to mention, they're invisible without a moderately powerful telescope!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 4, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDude79 View Post
    Not to mention, they're invisible without a moderately powerful telescope!
    Yes - which is why it would be a better deal for me to rename, say, Uzbekistan as "OneDude79stan" - then you could take your friends there to show what your newly named country is like! You can't do that with a lousy 8th magnitude star.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do people fall in the "Friend Zone"? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I broke up with my guy of 10 yrs in Jan. We have two kids and, it was a hard break up cause he cheated and is now with the woman he cheated with. Anyway I got bored and, desperate, so went into a chat room needing someone to talk to besides people who make me feel more bad about the situation....

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Have you seen a silver pendant with "A star danced, and under that was I born" on it? [ 1 Answers ]

This necklace was in a cardboard gift box at a store like Kohls or possibly JC Penneys. It was sterling silver, and I believe the pendant was round. A circle in the middle was black with a silver star (or two or three). There are a few companies making this kind of thing - "gift jewelry" for the...

I need to find the artist of the song "baby fall" [ 1 Answers ]

I need the artist of the song "Baby Fall"All I know is that some of it goes like this... Just lose it all, every time, every fear, every worry every tear,I'm right hear, baby fall. HELP me find the artist of this song!! please!

Lyrics for "let's stop before we fall in love" [ 1 Answers ]

Help! Could someone please give me the lyrics to "let's stop before we fall in love?" I've been unsuccessful in searchin got it on the internet. The first couple of lines go, "I belong to her, you belong to him. We keep on playing a game we'll never win. We've got to stop, before the hurt...

View more questions Search