Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown3075 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 09:11 AM
    Medical privacy or HIPAA violation?
    A nurse at my husband's doctor got his cell phone number out of his file and started calling and texting him for personal reasons. She is trying to start a romantic relationship with him and he has continually told her to stop but she still refuses. Is this a privacy or HIPAA violation? We are unsure as to whether to file harassment charges or a HIPAA charge, or both.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 7, 2011, 10:00 AM
    Not necessarily a HIPAA; cell phone number is not private info even if she did go in his file (she is an employee although at this point should not be one!). I think harassment charges, but possibly restraining order specifying no contact, if it can be settled amicably.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2011, 10:44 AM
    I agree, clearly not a HIPPA violation since no health info was disclosed. I would report this to her employer as well as the Police. However, making calls and texting is not necessarily illegal but it could evolve into stalking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa or privacy in the workplace violation? [ 11 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with a condition, and in the process of getting "work" to approve my time off, some fellow managers had lets others know of my condition, by sharing what and why I was out! This had been expressly stated that I did NOT want anyone to know! So needless to say, it is out all over the...

Possible Violation of Privacy act and HIPAA [ 5 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend is suing me in civil court for anything and everything he bought me while we were together, but he is acting as his own laywer and submitted documents of my life insurance appliacation that has medical information on it, and my resume from me submitting my resume to get hired at his...

Violation of hipaa privacy [ 14 Answers ]

This past week I received a statement in the mail from our Primary Care, the amount due is $118.00. The date of service is March 28, 2011. I knew that I had done it reaching over my back seat and grabbing my briefcase and lifting it into the front seat. Our PCP said I could have a cortisone shot,...

HIPAA/Privacy Act Violation [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I was taken by ambulance to a hospital for an accidental overdose. I was admitted to the ICU for the night. An acquaintance works for another ambulance co. that works for the hospital. She saw that my name was on the treatment board in the ER and wanted to know what I was doing there. ...

HIPAA violation, invasion of privacy, slander, etc. [ 4 Answers ]

At Seton Medical in Daly City, I was treated the most disrespectfully and horribly ever in my life. They didn't listed to anything I said. This was alll after I disclosed me history of drug use, I have beenh clean for over ten years, but they wouldn't believe a word from my after hearing this. They...

View more questions Search