Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aceblazen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2011, 11:46 AM
    Hair follicle drug test
    I smoked a few hits last weekend and then a few more a couple weeks ago. I was clean for years before that. Because it was so recent am I screwed?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2011, 11:59 AM
    Not necessarily. Low and infrequent cannabis use isn't likely to show up on hair drug testing. (As example see Musshoff & Madea) An additional resource for infrequent use and hair testing can be found in the studies of DuPont (2008)... hair testing is unlikely to be positive for marijuana until the tested student has used marijuana at a rate of about twice a week in the prior 90 days... (p. 8).

Dr Marilyn Huestis, National Institutes of Health, found that daily use was detected in hair at a far greater rate than non-daily use (85/52%) Non-daily use was defined as from 1-5 marijuana cigarettes per week. Even among heavy users (at least once daily) only 60% tested positive.

THC and THC-COOH the active metabolites of cannabis have a very low incorporation rate into human hair (Auwater, etal 2010)

Manufacturers of hair test systems acknowledge that "in some cases, when the donor has used marijuana, a hair drug test, including HairConfirm, may be unable to detect the THC metabolite because the metabolite was unable to bind with the hair shaft."

Define for me a few hits.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 6, 2011, 12:39 PM
    My bet is that it will show up, depending on how and what levels they are looking for.

Please after the test come back and let us know what happened. Dr Bill is normally right, but I am going to disagree this time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Follicle Drug Test [ 4 Answers ]

One of my family members I guess has been smoking pot not directly in my daughters face, but she has I guess entered the room when he was smoking, one of his friends called DHS and they did a hair follicle test on her, will it show up if he has? How much exposure is needed for it to show up in her...

Hair Follicle Drug Test [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, My company has recently started testing its employees using the hair follicle/ strand drug testing method. I used marijuana approximately 1year and 5 months ago, and have not used or been around it ever since. I recently too a urinalysis and passed that a couple of weeks ago. My...

View more questions Search