Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imeenoel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Husband abandoned wife
    My husband abandoned me & went to another country for good, will I be responsible for his debts?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Is your name and his name in joint with all accounts and bills?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Sometimes it does not matter if your name is on the debt or not, as long as you are married. That is how some creditors see it anyway. My attorney, during my divorce, advised me that my husband's creditors could and possibly would come after me for his debts. But I live in a state of community property - what was his was mine and what was mine was his. The best advice is to seek legal counsel on this.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 12:05 PM
    I personally feel that it does not matter. If they have separate bills. They are not joint. They can only go after the actual person responsible for the debts. Creditors can pressure the spouse but in no way they have to give in.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Agreed - the wife should have not to bear the responsibility of her husband's debts.
    scglove Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2007, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by imeenoel
    My husband abandoned me & went to another country for good, will I be responsible for his debts?
    Anything that says j on your credit report , that means joint you can be. That is a bad deal so many women get caught up like that.the creditors will not even hear a sad story. It is very sad you may need to get legal advice. before it gets bad
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Oct 14, 2007, 08:40 AM
    No I don't think you should pay, if you don't have any joint accounts with him... chill and live your own life and enjoy it ,make new friends ,don't ever cry for him... for you didn't lose him but he lost you... I am with you and will pray for you for your life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wife horny, husband not so much. [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I are both 34 and have been married 14 1/2 yrs (together 17). I am finding that I am needing my husband to touch me sexually somehow everyday or I feel he doesn't want me. Or I think to myself wow it's been a week or whatever and we haven't had sex and I think maybe he doesn't want...

Good Wife, Jealous husband... What do I do? [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 21 yrs old, my husband 24 1/2. We've known each other since I was in high school and 3 yrs ago we decided to make it official and begin a serious relationship. We married after two yrs in the relationship. We now have a 9 month old beautiful daughter. It all sounds perfect up until I begin to...

Husband and wife, both F1->H1B [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I would appreciate your advice on what options my husband and myself have in terms of filling our tax returns -Husband Changed his STATUS from F1 to H1B in October 05, got actual H1B visa in January 10th 06 when he went outside of the US (he is resident, correct?) - Wife Was on OPT...

Husband and wife filing separate [ 2 Answers ]

How can I file separate from my husband on my taxes.

Will collectors go after ex wife if husband declares bankruptcy? [ 2 Answers ]

She has a car that is financed in his name and numerous bills in his name as well as hers. Will they continue to go after her after my husband decalres bankruptcy?

View more questions Search