Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharonbernice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 04:11 AM
    Quit claim
    My husband and I purchased a home together 4 months after we were married, but in order to get a better interest rate for the loan, and the title to go through I was asked to sign a quit claim document. Does this mean I have no interest in the home now that we are divorcing?
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 10, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sharonbernice
    My husband and I purchased a home together 4 months after we were married, but in order to get a better interest rate for the loan, and the title to go through I was asked to sign a quit claim document. Does this mean I have no interest in the home now that we are divorcing?
    This is going to depend on the divorce laws in your state. You signed a legal agreement that was probably recorded. The quit claim signed the ownership of the property to someone else.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Get a lawyer for this question, it could be worth lots of money for you. If you can not afford one go to the legal aid society.
    dorianna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 06:33 PM
    A quit claim deed is a type of deed -- it means that the previous owner gives you only what he owns.
    I know that seems kind of silly, but other deeds include specific promises of ownership and allow you to sue the previous owner based on the promises deed. Quit claim deeds are pretty common.

The bottom line? The type of deed has NO impact on your ownership or lack of ownership of the property. The ownership of the property depends on the laws of your state. You should talk to a lawyer if things get messy with the divorce.

And please, please, please... don't use the same lawyer as your husband.
    Good luck!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 07:22 PM
    As noted a quit claim deed is a legal deed, it gives all rights and ownership of the property of the seller to the buyer.
    It gives no warranties as to legal ownership.

Now that does not do away with your obligation to pay on the mortgage if the other party does not pay, so I would never sign, until the other party has a refiance on the property. Because you are giving up your rights to the property but are still obligated on the mortgage.

Just read some of the divorce on here and you will see women who write that after one or two years the ex stops paying on the house, and they come after them, even after signing the deed over, since the husband never did a re-finance.

If you are going though a divorce and have property to divide, you need an attorney

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doing Quit claim deed yourself [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants to add my name to the title of his house and I want to do it myself by buying a Quit claim deed form. After I purchase this form and fill it out and have the proper signatures what do I have to do and where do I go to have it legalized. Please advise. Thank you, Mistyrita:)

Quit claim deed [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home in Ohio with my now ex fiancé. During our split up I signed a quit claim deed. I signed this (while listening to him and his grandmother) thinking it takes me off the loan too. Come to find out I am still financially responsible for the payments on the house. Do I have any...

Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

I've filled out Quit Claim form. Now, I need to get it notarized. Where do you go to get it notarized? I live Oak Lawn Illinois, cook county.

Quit Claim Deed [ 2 Answers ]

I am in a bind. In 2004 purchased a house (with money for a down payment from my ex-boyfriend as a gift). We have never lived in the property together; he is a real estate investor. Our original idea was to flip this house that he originally purchased in foreclosure. After three months without a...

Quit Claim Deed [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I have a myriad of financial issues at this point in time. I have about 65k of unsecured debt. I have no assets with equity in them. My home is fully mortaged with no equity. I am falling behind on my unsecured debts and I am worried that they will file a lien on my home residence. ...

View more questions Search