Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nathalie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2004, 08:01 PM
    Swap kitchen sink and washer
    I live in a 2-story home on a concrete slab. My washer connections are in my garage. We are considering a remodel and want to swap the kitchen and garage. The current kitchen sink is on an exterior wall and the washer is in the garage on an interior wall that is behind a bathroom. The kitchen and garage are perpendicular to each other. The hardest part is how to drain the washer in the kitchen and the kitchen sink in the garage. I do not believe the washer is vented on the roof.
    Any suggestions? Thanks for the comments so far!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 7, 2004, 10:25 PM
    Remodel
    You have just about narrowed you options to installing the washer and the kitchen on the opposite wall. The less expensive way to go is to use the existing kitchen stack for both your washer and your kitchen sink. Simply stub out your sink at about 18" and your washer at 4" and stub it out opposite the sink. You have just reversed your fixtures and as I understood the question, that's what you wished to do. If you wish to do more it will consist of reruning the drainage and perhaps the vent
    I want to take this opportunity to welcome back Labman who has been sorely missed, Welcome back !! Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2004, 07:43 AM
    If you can't make Tom's idea work, don't give up. For maybe $100 and a hard days work, you can rent a saw, cut the slab, reroute some of the lines and pour new cement. Just be sure to use traps and vents as needed, and keep any long horizontal runs sloping down at least a little.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Washer backing up into kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

A few weeks ago our kitchen sink started backing up with water whenever we use the washing machine. We are on a septic system and have never had any problems until now. The house was built back in the 50's so we're not sure if there is a grease trap to be the cause of the issue. We've put root...

Kitchen Sink, Dishwasher and Washer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my son was cleaning a fish tank and spilled gravel evidently down the bathtub drain, ever since on occasion the kitchen sink, dishwasher and washer back up into that tub, this will last sometimes for days then stop... then suddenly begin to occur again. Best ways to clear whatevers causing...

Washer Rinse Water Backs Up in Kitchen Sink [ 5 Answers ]

My washing machine rinse water backs up into my double kitchen sink and my wonderful plumber is stumped. I'm only able to wash a mini load (which fills up both sinks) as a medium or large load causes my kitchen sinks to overflow. It's been doing this for over a year now and I'm tired of living with...

Unclear on swap of washer and kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I was not very clear. I would like to transform my garage into a kitchen. My current kitchen sink is on an exterior wall. I would like to make my current kitchen a laundry room. The washer, in the garage is on an interior wall which is directly...

View more questions Search