Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzisanober Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 09:09 AM
    Why a woman is not allowed to go on funeral or gravyard in muslim?
    Why a woman is not allowed to go on funeral or gravyard in muslim?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 4, 2011, 11:36 AM
    A statement from the Muslim Women's League

An Islamic View on Women Attending Funerals

Due to the high-profile funeral ceremony of King Hussein of Jordan and the spotlight on Queen Noor, several statements have been erroneously made concerning the attendance of women in the service. The custom of excluding women from funeral ceremonies is a cultural tradition garbed in Islamic clothing that varies from one place to another, applied for example in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia but not necessarily in Egypt or Syria. Iran, considered by several media in the West as the most fundamentalist state in the Middle East, does not bar women from attending funeral services.

According to the Quran and the traditions of Prophet Muhammad, there is no established law that forbids women’s attendance. Prophet Muhammad’s burial was witnessed by several women, including those from his family. The Prophet’s wife, Ayesha, witnessed the burials of the first and second caliphs, Abu Bakr, her father, and Umar. She is also a source of several traditions (hadith) of the Prophet Muhammad.

Grief is a natural human emotion that cannot, and need not, be stamped out but should be dignified, noble, demonstrative of our faith. Muslims’ behavior is supposed to reflect Islam's belief that, rather than an end, death is a transition to another life that is eternal and, for the believer, much better than this one. The passing of someone dear to us, the attendance of a funeral, or visiting of tombs are to be reminders of the impermanence and fleeting nature of this life and an exhortation for us to seek the next one with good deeds.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2011, 12:38 PM
    According to islamQA,here is the answer to the question regarding funerals.

Praise be to Allaah. 

Praying the janaazah (funeral) prayer is prescribed for both men and women, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever attends the janaazah until he offers the prayer will have one qeeraat (of reward), and whoever attends until (the deceased) is buried will have two qeeraats.” It was said, “O Messenger of Allaah, what are the two qeeraats?” He said, “Like two great mountains,” meaning, of reward. (Saheeh – agreed upon). But women should not follow the funeral procession to the graveyard, because they are not allowed to do that, as it was reported in al-Saheehayn that Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “We were forbidden to follow the funeral procession but it was not made absolute on us.” (narrated by Muslim). But women are not forbidden to offer the janaazah prayer, whether it is offered in the mosque, in a house or in a prayer-place. Women used to offer the janaazah prayer with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in his mosque and after his lifetime. Visiting graves, however, is something which is only for men, as is following the funeral procession, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed women who visit graves. The reason for that – and Allaah knows best – is that there is the fear that if women were to follow funeral processions to the graveyard or visit graves, that would cause fitnah (temptation) to others or to themselves. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “I have not left behind any fitnah more harmful to men than women.” (Saheeh – agreed upon). And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh ibn Baaz , vol. 13, p. 133
    MR.know Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2011, 01:16 AM
    Bismillahi Rahmani Rahim - In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Hello. In the Jahiliyyah, the time of Ignorance before the coming of Islam, it was the habit of the pagans that when someone died, the women would engage in bad habits, such as loud wailing, tearing their garments, throwing dust on themselves, and generally being overwrought and hysterical. There were even women paid to do these acts at the grave. Some men did this too but it was much more prevalent among the women. At one point, the Prophet Muhammad, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him, forbade women from going to the graves due to this bad habit. Later, after people had been Muslim for longer and had developed good habits to overcome the bad, this restriction was lifted, according to many scholars. It has always been permissible for women to attend the actual Janazah (funeral) prayer, but not to accompany the body to the grave. If, after the body is buried, a woman wishes to visit the grave to keep it clean, or to contemplate her afterlife, and her visit does not include the wailing and tearing of clothes and other bad habits, then she is permitted to do so. And Allah knows best.
    Karigold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 05:14 PM
    I wish I could answer the question. All I can say is that I was not allowed to my father's funeral and it has upset me a lot and made me angry with the people who did not allow me to go. I will always be angry with those people. Women should be allowed to go to funerals; otherwise their grief will be very complicated and cause severe depression and even suicide in some instances. The people who say women cannot attend funerals are misogynistic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are muslim girls allowed to choose their own spouses according to Islam? [ 24 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I'm going to write my whole story otherwise you guys will not understand it. So please forgive me if it is too long. but I'm begging you, give me good advise as I'm living at the moment in hell and have not enough time. I am a muslim girl pray and practis islam. I do love my...

Are muslim women allowed to have male friends [ 3 Answers ]

As Salaam Alaikum I am convert to islam 5 years ago. As Live goes on I gotnow two beatyfull children and very happy whit my faith and believe. However my husband said to me today when I came back from the garden were I was as usually talking to my naighbour for more than 1 hour. I must say wayne...

Can a black non-muslim man marry a muslim woman? [ 18 Answers ]

For the past few months I've been dating a muslim girl. I think I'm starting to fall in love with her and would love nothing more than to marry this girl. However, I am African American and she is from Jordan. She has told me that her family would most likely not approve, as they want her to...

View more questions Search