Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 3, 2011, 08:18 PM
    Specified foreign financial assets (SFFA) Form 8938
    All U.S. citizens and residents who have foreign accounts and foreign assets must be aware of another filing requirement Form 8938 besides Form Form TD F 90-22.1 Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts and many other forms. The form is currently in draft stage and non filing penalities are as harsh as for Form TD F 90-22.1.
    A specified U.S. person must file Form 8939 if foreign assets increase the threshold amount ($50,000). A specified person includes (1) a U.S. citizen, (2) a resident alien, (3) a nonresident alien who elects to be treated as a resident alien for purposes of filing a joint income tax return, and 4) a nonresident alien who’s a bona fide resident of American Samoa or Puerto Rico.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 4, 2011, 10:33 AM
    You can read the IRS release on this form at the link below:

http://www.irs.gov/irb/2011-29_IRB/ar06.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Us capital gains tax foreign assets [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US resident alien and I own a house in Australia where I emigrated from. It was my principal residence. If I sell the house, do I compute the capital gain for US tax purposes by taking the purchase price and the selling price in Australian dollars, working out the difference to give the...

Valuation of Financial Assets [ 2 Answers ]

Two years ago you purchased a share of stock for $24.375. The first year that you owned the stock you received an 80% return; over the second year, however, the stock fell by 51%. What was your average rate of return and your holding period return?

Financial Assets [ 1 Answers ]

How do I determine the net realizable value of the following? The general ledge reported a/r of 2,150,000 in jan 2007 the allowance for doubtful accounts had a credit balance of 40,000 throughout 2007 the company wrote off 140,000 and collected 21,213,600 on account from credit customers....

How do you calculate Value of financial assets [ 1 Answers ]

how do you calculate Value of financial assets

Taxes on foreign assets sold [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen, and recently sold property in India, which was bought several years ago. How can I bring the proceeds back to US, preferably without paying taxes?

View more questions Search