Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristian_dancer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2011, 05:25 PM
    Selling house in the UK buying house here with proceeds
    My father is about to move here(to USA) as a permanent resident to live with me and my wife. He is going to sell his house worth around $550k.
    I was wondering would it be better for him to pay my mortgage off completely around $170k and me pay him a nominal amount as a loan, with me being the owner and with the contract stating upon his death all debts paid. (I am the only inheritor).
    The remaining funds would he have to pay capital gains tax on if brought in to the USA or any other taxes as he has already paid taxes on them in the UK ? If this is the case would it be better to invest them offshore and just draw on the interest? With accessibility only needed in case of a large medical emergency? What is the best way to protect the majority of the money seeing as inevitably it will have to come here to me as inheritance.

Basically I'm trying to minimize the taxes paid while trying to protect any monies he has from risk while eliminating mortgage and increasing security.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 4, 2011, 09:26 AM
    If your father is a U.K. resident at the time of the sale of his U.K. home, then he owes NO taxes on the sale of the U.K. residence,because he was NOT resident of the U.S. at the time of the sale.

The scenario of him paying off the mortgage, then you paying him back under a secured loan is allowed, provided the interest charged is market rate and the appropriate legal documents (mortgage, lien on the home, etc.) are used.

Now, if he leaves his funds invested off-shore and he becomes a U.S. resident, he must report those investments under the FBAR and pay taxes on the interest/dividends/capital gaines once he becomes a U.S. resident.

Finally, the complexity of these issues demands a face-to-face meeting with a competent tax profession, because I am sure some important variable in this equation has been left out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can she keep the proceeds of the sale of their house? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend's ex-partner has sold the house they bought together and has kept all the proceeds for herself. He put in 10k and she paid the remaining 40k - she sold the house for 90k and has kept the lot. The house was in his name but she had that changed to her name just before the sale went through...

Buying a bankruptcy house on court house steps [ 6 Answers ]

I seen a house in the legal section of our local newspaper that is being sold on the court house steps to the highest bidder. I actually drove to the house and talked to the current owners. They said they are going into bankruptcy and that is why the house is being sold. They even let me tour...

If I sell my house before going bankrupt, how will this affect the proceeds from the [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, but I purchased a 'Flip' house last July that is almost ready to go on the market. I estimate I will get $40k from the sale of the home, but my contractor was willing to wait until the house sold to get paid the $35,000 I owe him for the work he...

No Lien, but can creditors come after house sale proceeds? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi- hope someone can help. Can't get a straight answer from my lawyer! My mother passed in 2004 with a large $20,000 hospital bill. They did drain their savings to pay about 25,000 of it! My dad had been making payments on the balance until he got sick. My dad died last March. He willed the...

View more questions Search