Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alex3000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2011, 04:28 PM
    Returning gifts after the end of a relationship
    One of my friends got the new iPhone 4s as a gift from her boyfriend, but a week after getting the phone, they had an argument and broke up. Her exboyfriend is now saying he wants the phone back because he paid for it and bought it outright from Apple under his name. We live in Melbourne Australia so I'm not quite sure of the laws. Who is right legally? Is my friend able to keep the phone if it was given as a gift?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 2, 2011, 04:31 PM
    It was a gift while they were still together... the way I see it, it's hers if she really wants to keep it. Of course, is there any point in being that way? If it was up to me, I'd just give it back and be done with it.
    Alex3000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2011, 04:34 PM
    She wants to keep the phone because its her phone now, but we were wondering who is right legally. We're 17 years old if that makes a difference
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 2, 2011, 04:37 PM
    I can't answer the legal part of it but I'm sure someone will come along that can. Actually, I think that since it was a gift, it would be legally hers... but don't quote me on that. Like I said, someone better versed in the law will come along soon.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Dec 2, 2011, 07:13 PM
    I don't know about legally, but I would give it back. He gave her the phone based on them dating. They are no longer dating.
    Why would you keep it though? Give him the phone back and be done with it. There really is no IMO moral reason to keep it. Buy your own phone.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 2, 2011, 11:18 PM
    We aren't talking about an engagement ring, with a promise of marriage. It's just a phone.

Maybe she too had given him an expensive gift along the way. Is a gift subject to return if the relationship doesn't work out, and if so, at what point. One week, six months, 24 hours?

A gift is a gift is a gift. I doubt the relationship was on solid ground if a split happened anyway.

He should learn not to spend so much money on gifts. She should learn that accepting expensive gifts from a boyfriend that is nearly out the door, is not a very honourable thing to do.

If she is the type of person to use the phone without guilt over who paid for it just before a split, and have no qualms about it, so be it.

I know I would beat a path to his door to return the gift, and hope that he could get a refund.
    rsacid Posts: 40, Reputation: 5

Dec 3, 2011, 05:19 AM
    It was a gift, legally it is hers, I personally would not want to keep it. But, that is something she has to deal with
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 3, 2011, 09:35 AM
    Sound to me like a phone is being used to keep in touch with each other if only to argue, or hurt one another.

A gift is a gift, but is a phone worth the aggravation? Obviously it is, or why not just return it and be done with that person? 17 year old love drama, and confusion, and have made a freakin' gift a bigger deal than it should be, on both sides.

Personally, I would never give a phone as a gift (old school, I know), and if I did and got dumped I sure wouldn't ask for it back, just have it turned off and out of my name, or whomever name its in.

What, is he supposed to pay for the calls after being dumped? I don't think so!! The proper thing to do is put it in the name of the one who has it, and uses it, but that's to easy, isn't it.

When you keep a gift, then you are responsible for maintaining it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Returning of gifts [ 4 Answers ]

Do I have to return birthday items my ex-boyfriend bought June 2007 for our daughter because he is angry?

Am I Going Crazy? Ex-Girlfriend Possibly Returning Gifts? [ 13 Answers ]

Hey! As I was leaving for work today, I noticed something a bit peculiar. Sitting next to my car one parking space over in my condo's parking lot was a white trash bag full of God knows what. In the parking spot next to it was another white garbage bag with stuff in it. For some reason I...

Trying to end relationship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, its been a while since I've been on this site. It is simultaneously difficult yet nice to be back. Tonight I broke up with the second girlfriend I've had in my life. This as well as the first relationship has lasted for 2 years roughly. I did it in a very direct and honest way, yet it was...

Long term gain - returning money to the IRS before the end of the year [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had some stocks from a company which was sold and I gained around $40,000, which are a long term gain. I am being told that I have to return money to the IRS now, before the end of the year, because it is not good to owe the IRS too much at the end of the year and I may get a fine. Is...

Should I end this relationship? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for close to 2 years and we have been living together for a year. He does not tell me he loves me and I am thinking about leaving the relationship because of it. He is great to me and my 2 children. He brought us to meet his family. He is always there he is in tune...

View more questions Search