Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikole_11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 03:48 PM
    Emancipation
    I am 18 years old and have a 20 month old daughter. I have lived on my own a little over a year now. I pay all my bills and support my daughter and I on my own. I need to get emancipated to have full control over my decisions, finances, and financial help. My mother is in agreement to sign whatever she has to. I simply need to know the steps to take in order to start this process.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 04:40 PM
    What state are you in? In many states being 18 and graduated High School then you are considered emancipated. Some at 18 alone so long as you have full mental capacity then you can make your own decisions and be on your own.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2011, 04:41 PM
    You are 18, you are now an adult and can make your own decisions. Who is telling you that you can't?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You are 18, you are now an adult and can make your own decisions. Who is telling you that you can't?
    In some states like New York even though the OP is 18 they may not be fully emancipated under the law. That is why child support in states like New York continue until 21. But in the eyes of the law the OP would normally be emancipated at 18 to the point of signing legal agreements and responsibility under the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Emancipation Right for me [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I was just wondering if emancipation was right for me, my parents have put a complete lockdown on me for over three months now, and I'm still in school, I want to be with my friend but they alwys say no, so when I sneak out it is very scary if they find out because my father scares me allot....

I want to get emancipated when I turn 16 [ 2 Answers ]

I'm15 years old right now. My 16th birthday is in March and I hope to get emancipated. I am in school, and get good grades. I have an apartment building that I would move into. I need to know more details on it. Whether I need a lawyer, money costs, etc. I would like to get information from someone...

Emancipation at 16 [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old and I want to be emancipated but I don't have a choice in the matter without my parent's permission... otherwise my other option is marrige... but I'm not sure what to do... please help!

Emancipation [ 4 Answers ]

I am 17 and living in a divorced home cousin verbally abuses me and calls me a can I get emancipated legally in Indiana

Can I be emancipation now [ 1 Answers ]

I am 16 going on 17 January 1 2008 and I want to be emanciapted because in my house there are so many people in a two bedroom and then it seems like everything I do is wrong and they yell at me for no reason what should I do.:mad: :confused: :( :( :( I could be getting good grades and they say...

View more questions Search